Basing Prone Figures

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Basing Prone Figures

Postby wmyers » 09 Aug 2015, 09:05

I was doing some interweb searching for how others base their prone figures and there is a definite lack of available information. In fact, I found some discussions where people stated they avoided buying figure sets with prone figures!

What do people on here do?
wmyers
Lieutenant

Re: Basing Prone Figures

Postby HalberKill » 09 Aug 2015, 14:53

I usually just put it on a round 25mm base and accept overhang, or not base it at all for more terrain interaction options. I've seen Warlord Games prone minis are based on an elongated ovaloid base.
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 12 Aug 2015, 16:23

I was meaning more of the techniques involved, such as not painting the figure's belly so it will adhere to glue better, glueing the figure on first then painting, type of glue used if fully painted, pushing the figure into the basing material then removing the figure to detail/paint the base, etc.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 13 Aug 2015, 02:09

Well I am no expert on painting (since I have yet to do any myself, so you were warned :twisted: ), but if I didn't care about painting the underbelly I would just glue the body unto a used up gift card before painting and placing base material (whether it is fully assembled or not before this seems like a personal choice to me) and than paint (that way maybe I can use the basing material to cover up any paint job sins), alternatively you might want to paint a bit of the front ribs etc. first and leave the middle front rib cage, belly, and crouch unpainted for gluing wmyers since you strike me as a detail oriented fellow.

However, if I were painting the belly I would either not bother with a base or buy one of those see through bases (don't even bother with base décor ;) ) and ask around hobby shops (the model-diorama ones) what the best see through glue is for the job (I recommend explaining why you want it first, perhaps even bringing the base and figure along) same goes for paint to paint glue jobs.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 18 Aug 2015, 20:18

bvandewalker wrote:Well I am no expert on painting (since I have yet to do any myself, so you were warned )

The easiest way, I have found, to paint miniatures is the dipping method; Army Painter has a pdf on how easy this really is:

http://admin.thearmypainter.com/files/downloads/pdf/army_paiting_guide.pdf

Check it out and give it a try and see what you think.

Remember, Lonnie had written previously on here about how other wood stains can be used (instead of Army Painter's product). Testors also makes washes and stains (their "CreateFX" line) which may do just as well.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Return to Painting