Survivors conversions

Share your conversion (mashup) projects with the community!

Re: Survivors conversions

Postby mrinku » 22 Jun 2015, 17:29

You could try modelling the MG slung or otherwise being carried and have the figure with a pistol or spare ammo in their hands. They could also be posed pointing or shouting orders.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby robbie038 » 24 Jun 2015, 04:49

If Wargames factory is thinking of redoing this line then of course it is worth pointing out that some poses are dificult to convert.
Nevertheless thanks for you sugestions
robbie038
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 24 Jun 2015, 18:58

In their defence, some of the bodies are deliberately designed for one set of gear (baseball/cricket bat guy for example) so that the pose looks right.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby wmyers » 28 Jun 2015, 14:17

robbie038 wrote:If Wargames factory is thinking of redoing this line then of course it is worth pointing out that some poses are dificult to convert.
Nevertheless thanks for you sugestions

Of all the sets WGF has made the survivors, male and female, as well as the women zombies, along with the WWII sets and the Rev. War sets, will be the ones they will not remake. They're the newest ones and the best sculpted.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 28 Jun 2015, 16:48

Although with the VERY popular sets they may well be able to make improvements as the old dies wear out. That's basically what happened with the Skeleton Warriors. I could see a revision of the Zombie Vixens at some point for that reason. If you're going to re-tool anyway, you may as well see if you can improve the kit. The Vixens could do with being slightly more robust in places. If you compare them with the female survivors, you'll see what I mean. The equipment sprue on the male survivors could have a better mix of gear, too. More open hand options and some revolvers, plus some of the weapons they put in with the girls like double shotguns. Removing some of the spare weapons and gear there are too many of (chainsaws, pistols) and adding some new stuff would improve the kit.

Oh, and axes. For the love of all things unholy, there *really* needs to be less chainsaws and more axes, sledgehammers and other traditional zombie fighting tools/tools repurposed as weapons.

Plus, y'know, for axe murderers and leg-breaker goons.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby wmyers » 28 Jun 2015, 18:30

mrinku wrote:Although with the VERY popular sets they may well be able to make improvements as the old dies wear out. That's basically what happened with the Skeleton Warriors. I could see a revision of the Zombie Vixens at some point for that reason. If you're going to re-tool anyway, you may as well see if you can improve the kit. The Vixens could do with being slightly more robust in places. If you compare them with the female survivors, you'll see what I mean. The equipment sprue on the male survivors could have a better mix of gear, too. More open hand options and some revolvers, plus some of the weapons they put in with the girls like double shotguns. Removing some of the spare weapons and gear there are too many of (chainsaws, pistols) and adding some new stuff would improve the kit.

Oh, and axes. For the love of all things unholy, there *really* needs to be less chainsaws and more axes, sledgehammers and other traditional zombie fighting tools/tools repurposed as weapons.

One would hope this was thought of and discussed and the newer Apocalypse sets which are yet to be released (if all the new sets are to be Apocalypse and not part of another sci-fi theme) will have and allow for more options of conversion.

Mind you, with the very sparse amount of options on the biker sprue (I really thought there had to be another sprue with accessories and more body options besides just one that also included bases ...) ...
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 29 Jun 2015, 19:44

Well, I did notice that the Female kit was better in this respect than the Male one, which I would partially credit being due to customer feedback.

Getting everything on to one sprue is a lot better if they can manage it. By the looks of it there are a lot of options on the frame, and you can draw from the other kits for specific spares.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 30 Jun 2015, 18:15

mrinku wrote:the VERY popular sets they may well be able to make improvements as the old dies wear out.
If you're going to re-tool anyway, you may as well see if you can improve the kit.

If they did (hopefully) DO a retool and improve, it would be great to see the 'one' female police officer option with the traditional hat and perhaps the 'D.I.'- trooper hat. After all 1 in 30, its not really that many, plus a police uniform, minus a gun, could easily be converted to nothing more than a delivery, or office staff worker.
On the subject of chainsaws, I have to agree. They did go a 'bit' over the mark on that. I know Army of Darkness was a really (campy) but fun movie, but seriously, in an Apocalyptic situation, personally, I dont want to get THAT close to anything.. moaning, groaning, walking and DEAD! :o
Call me naive, but its a rule I have.

I have to say I found it interesting that the women had 8 as apposed to 7 for the men of both the AK-47 and the M-16's. And while they had only 4 of a 'bullpup' style european rifle, Im not familar with, they more than made up for that little fax pas, by having 4 RPGs. I guess its true, you never can tell what a woman will carry in her hand bag. :D
As to the M-16's, it maybe my 50+ eyes, but the version in the female set, appear to have the rounded foregrip as apposed to the earlier 'vietnam era' model that seems to be in the mens.

Now.. on to the 'axe murderers and leg breaker goons'. You wouldnt be hinting at those who ride motorcycles now would you? Personally, and seriously, with just the right options, i.e. a helmet for each.. the biker set could even be promoted in use for anyone interested in or creating their own race game. As for options, well lets face it, it is just a game and I certainly dont want to inject too much 'reality' into this, but how many options/weapons can someone actually carry / use and maintain control of your bike at the same time. Granted, im having flash back images of the (original) Terminator, chasing Reese and Sarah on his bike, with an RPG on his shoulder. :twisted:

I know it would be asking a bit much.. but I think it would be pretty cool, if for each bike, you could create two versions of the same character, A rider, and the second, that same biker on foot with weapon(s) in hand. Of course you'd pretty much need to leave the 'rider' so that he/ she could be removed, especially if you were getting this for a really great add on for an RPG game.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 30 Jun 2015, 18:35

Not implying anything about the bikers :)

The axe is a traditional anti-zomb weapon, and I mainly use the kits for non-apocalypse modern settings, so sledgehammers are good for a bunch of stereotypes (angry mob, standover man, labourer, safecracker, tomb raider...).

From the look of the sprue (fuzzy as it is), I think they have provided "standing" and "riding" legs that are equivalent. There may or may not be duplicate torsos on the same frame, but as you get multiple frames you would have duplicates of each torso.

In regard to weapons usable while riding... well, you can carry a few more on the bike for dismounted use, or back-slung (thinking a rifle or shotgun here).
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Previous

Return to Kit and Figure Conversions