Bits Exchange

Share your conversion (mashup) projects with the community!

Bits Exchange

Postby Lord_Bryon » 07 May 2014, 09:15

The old forums had a Bits exchange section. I figured the Kit and Figure conversion section would be the best spot for this type of request.

I can't find this section now and I find myself in need of some bits.

I need approx 4 two handed axe arm pairs from the Viking/Saxon sets. I don't need the axes just the arms. If any of you could be so kind I'm willing to trade other WGF bits for them.

I have the following sets for trade options.

Numidians
Amazons
Greeks
Romans
Ancient Germans
Celts
Celt Cavalry
Skeletons
Orcs
Shocktroopers
WW2 latewar germans
Persian Infantry
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Re: Bits Exchange

Postby Lord_Bryon » 07 May 2014, 11:41

Also does anyone know a good place to source a twohanded scimitar type weapon. I notice that RPG and MMO's erroniously refer to these as Falchions from time to time? Something like the sword carried by Morgan Freemans character in Robin Hood Prince of Theives or the arabic sword dude in Raiders of the lost ark whom Indy blasts with his trusty revolver is exactly what I'm going for. The pic below is from Skyrim but it's close to what I'm asking.

Scimitar2hander.png
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Rick » 07 May 2014, 11:49

Lord_Bryon wrote:Also does anyone know a good place to source a twohanded scimitar type weapon. I notice that RPG and MMO's erroniously refer to these as Falchions from time to time? Something like the sword carried by Morgan Freemans character in Robin Hood Prince of Theives or the arabic sword dude in Raiders of the lost ark whom Indy blasts with his trusty revolver is exactly what I'm going for. The pic below is from Skyrim but it's close to what I'm asking.

Scimitar2hander.png

could always see if these would work, they are designed for LEGO minifigs though:

http://www.brickforge.com/store/home.php?cat=433

Also LEGO made a scimitar for minifigs too:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=43887
Rick
Chief

Postby Lord_Bryon » 07 May 2014, 13:16

never thought of using Lego weapons. The Lego Scimitars certainly have the look I'm going for.

I imagine that they might work with a conversion for the handle. It's worth trying at the very least.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Felix » 07 May 2014, 15:36

It's looks like the blade of a Chinese's spear of XII century
Felix

Postby mrinku » 07 May 2014, 16:43

A Chinese Dadao is close. They come in a large variety of blade designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadao
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 07 May 2014, 19:27

The Dadao would be awesome. Do you know of any manufacturer that makes it in 28mm?
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby mrinku » 08 May 2014, 00:52

Offhand, no. There are some VERY old Citadel plastic Orcs (the original plasic ones) that have a sword that is quite close to that, but you'd still need to convert the handle.

I'd probably just go with cutting your own blades from styrene card (including grip) and making the grip round with putty or styrene semicircular rod (which could just be tube or rod cut in half). Since it's a larger, thicker blade this should be reasonably practical. I'm planning to do something like that for Naginata. You can file down the edges to shape it.

I've done this for my old Jade Warrior Space Marine chapter swords to get power katana, and it's not too hard once you practice. 1mm card or so is probably about what you want, but play around.

Alternatively, it is possible to do blades using putty. Brown Stuff would be better in this regard than Green Stuff, since it holds a sharp edge better. In that case, you'd probably want to use rod or tube for the handle and to shape the blade around it, then flatten it and let it cure a bit before trimming to final unsharpened shape. Edge can then be carved on when cured.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Felix » 08 May 2014, 02:04

Felix

Postby Rick » 08 May 2014, 09:12

this LEGO seller here does many different custom LEGO acces. for the Chinese eras and such.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=bricktw I used to help him with his forums connections and such, his product is good quality and would recommend
Rick
Chief

Next

Return to Kit and Figure Conversions