Persian 2 figure sprue

Share your conversion (mashup) projects with the community!

Persian 2 figure sprue

Postby Shaun1969 » 20 May 2014, 15:27

Hi all,

Recently I purchased a few bundles of the Persian 2 figure sprue, thank you WGF for the sale :)

Now I have looked at the sprue and tried my google-fu but to no avail... So?

On the sprues are

Bow arm and matched release arm
Straight out Sheild arm and matched standing spear arm for Pavise
Raised right arm for sword or javelin arm... Matched to I am guessing the straight Sheild arm again for pelta Sheild
All good so far... And then

There is a short 'half arm' with open grip to hold... ?

So my roundabout question is 'officially ' what was the purpose of the 'half arm'?

Many thanks

Shaun (I do have an idea what it is for but wanted the designers minds view )
Eat, paint, play
Shaun1969

Re: Persian 2 figure sprue

Postby Lord_Bryon » 20 May 2014, 15:58

I think the short arm is for the bowman.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 20 May 2014, 19:05

The short arm was a production error possibly due to an incomplete sculpting file transmitted by the original sculptor who is no longer with our company. No one noticed it until after the molds went into production. This is why I now get to review all files and get physical samples before we go full-bore into production. Sorry, our bad.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 20 May 2014, 20:24

Think of it as dwarf arm waiting to happen. :lol:

I actually have a quit a few of this arms, there are probably a lot Fantasy conversions you could use it for like three armed mutants, I have used them to get odd dual weapon users. I have also found that they can make an excellent shield arm with the large rectangular shields also on the sprue.

I also used a right bow fist and a left shield fist get a Kung-Fu brawler which I am probably going to do as a pointy hat guy.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lord_Bryon » 21 May 2014, 07:43

So as luck would have it I was putting together some Persians last night and I was wrong about the short arm as it is a left arm. I've used a few of them to put shields closer to the soldier but for the most part they are useless plastic. Although I like the idea of using them as additional arms representing chaos mutations.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Shaun1969 » 21 May 2014, 10:43

Cheers all,

My guess was that the arm holding the bow could be cut at the elbow to accomadate the stubby at an angle for holding the pelta Sheild .... Which I have yet try as I am stuck on commission painting currently....

As am aside... Where do you get the kneeling oversized legs from? Also are there any plans for Greek expansions or do I just get the Numidians and add some Greek heads?

Also any comments on the cavalry or pictures, as the ones people tend to post don't sell them to me yet :(
Eat, paint, play
Shaun1969

Postby steel91101 » 21 May 2014, 13:54

I was told some months ago that the short left arm was a production error (as Lonnie indicates above), and one of the reasons that sprue has been on sale. I bought 8 of the bundles, for a total of 96 figures, and an amazingly cheap price. It was TOTALLY worth it.

The short left arm is really not a huge issue. It can be used to prop up the rectangular sparabara shield, with no problem at all - the shield hides the "deformed" arm almost entirely.
Steel, as in Stainless Steel Rat.

Longtime miniatures gamer, and RPG gamer.
steel91101
Crewman

Postby Shaun1969 » 21 May 2014, 15:06

Hi steel... Yeah, I bought 30 bundles... That's 360 figures ... Great price plus 21£ to the Govt for import duty

When the AWI stuff will be taxed as heavily, the irony will not be lost on me :)

For me this two figure sprue is one of the best pieces of kit for army builders, spear units, bow units and Light infantry skirmishers all in approx 2inches square... VFM and no brainer

Perrys do a similar little one offs, like the British Napoleonic Rifles and Dismounted Dragoons spring instantly to mind, however these do t have range of conversion found on this sprue.... Fanboy gush over lol
Eat, paint, play
Shaun1969

Postby crazyharborc » 21 May 2014, 18:47

Do you have any/many left over arms? Perhaps, some of them will/can work as replacements for the short-arm on that sprue. Sorry I don't remember which sprue(s) I got my replacements from.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 21 May 2014, 23:54

Shaun1969 wrote:Cheers all,

My guess was that the arm holding the bow could be cut at the elbow to accomadate the stubby at an angle for holding the pelta Sheild .... Which I have yet try as I am stuck on commission painting currently....

As am aside... Where do you get the kneeling oversized legs from? Also are there any plans for Greek expansions or do I just get the Numidians and add some Greek heads?

Also any comments on the cavalry or pictures, as the ones people tend to post don't sell them to me yet :(

If you want some verity in poses and weapon, Buy the Persian set, that is where the kneeling pose comes from. as to the greeks, I don't know because I don't work for WGF and Lonnie (who does) doesn't talks about future planes as a rule. So its probably isn't a bad idea to kitbash some light infantry greeks.
bvandewalker
Captain

Next

Return to Kit and Figure Conversions