Interchangeability of WW2 28mm GIs and Soviets

Share your conversion (mashup) projects with the community!

Interchangeability of WW2 28mm GIs and Soviets

Postby Froggy the Great » 25 Sep 2014, 09:38

So I'm considering making a future SF army to go with and/or against my Eisenkern, and using WGF WW2 kits to make the soldiers. I'm looking for a professional light-infantry force with supply difficulties - like the standing army for a border world or somesuch.

My idea is to mix these two kits:
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore ... nfantry-28
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore ... nfantry-28

Do the legs and waists match up across kits? Arms and shoulders? Hands and guns? Do they scale well together?

I am of course going to be modding the guns and helmets and other kit.
Froggy the Great
Crewman

Re: Interchangeability of WW2 28mm GIs and Soviets

Postby Lord_Bryon » 25 Sep 2014, 09:52

I have the Germans and I'm guessing they will be a little small when compared to Eisenkern. They are small compared to the shock troopers. I think the GI's and Germans are "truescale" and 28mm (1/56). I think the Eisenkern guys are 32mm.

I'd be happy to send you a couple Germans if you want. PM me.

If you come up with some decent fluff I'm sure it could work. My understanding is that the GW space marine is supposed to be 8-9 ft tall, and my son says that the Spartan's in HALO are similarly large compared to 'normal' humans. In that regard it would be easy to see the Eisenkern serving as the elite bio engineered super soldiers and the germens as the regulars. Like Space Marines working with Imperial Guard and what not.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Templar22 » 25 Sep 2014, 09:53

I've only got Soviets at the moment but I plan to grab some GI's. Afraid I can't really help you there but I must say it sounds like a really cool idea.
Templar22
Cadet

Postby Froggy the Great » 25 Sep 2014, 09:56

Lord_Bryon wrote:I have the Germans and I'm guessing they will be a little small when compared to Eisenkern. They are small compared to the shock troopers. I think the GI's and Germans are "truescale" and 28mm (1/56). I think the Eisenkern guys are 32mm.

I'd be happy to send you a couple Germans if you want. PM me.

If you come up with some decent fluff I'm sure it could work. My understanding is that the GW space marine is supposed to be 8-9 ft tall, and my son says that the Spartan's in HALO are similarly large compared to 'normal' humans. In that regard it would be easy to see the Eisenkern serving as the elite bio engineered super soldiers and the germens as the regulars. Like Space Marines working with Imperial Guard and what not.

Oh, let me clarify. The Eisenkern are an army unto themselves. For the other army I was going to mix the GI and Soviet parts. The mixed army is based on fluff that would allow it to fight alongside or against the Eisenkern, depending on the scenario.

And sure, I'll take a couple Germans. PM sent momentarily.
Froggy the Great
Crewman

Postby HalberKill » 25 Sep 2014, 21:05

They will work together up to a point, you may need to do some shaving on arm joins occasionally to make them fit right, but the heads are easily interchangeable, and the bodies are legs and torsos as one piece.

I also find that the extra bits from the Male and Female Survivors work well in the mix. I made some Vietnam marines using WW2 Americans with m16 arms.
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby Badger » 25 Sep 2014, 21:19

i have some us gi boys still on sprue....im australian tho...might cost a bit for shipping....

mind the grammar, atm theres ashigaru figures all over my desk.
Badger
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 26 Sep 2014, 07:21

Our intention, when we designed these kits, was to make the parts within a box as interchangeable as possible where practicable but no consideration was given for interchangeability between boxes; that is left entirely up to the modeler. Does this mean you can't do it? No. It does mean that you'll have to use some modeling skills to get them to work in many (most) cases.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Agamemnon » 12 Oct 2014, 02:04

They really are great sprues. A lot better than Warlord's plastics :)

And thank you for so many AK-47s and M-16s on the Apocalypse Survivors.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Return to Kit and Figure Conversions