Republican Roman Cavalry

Share your conversion (mashup) projects with the community!

Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 20 Oct 2014, 20:36

So I get an email today from another company who makes a new series of Punic Wars Republican Romans in plastic and this email is advertising how they are now offering yet another company's new metal Republican Roman cavalry figures. These new cavalry figures are supposed to be made with smaller heads and hands to fit better with the plastic Punic Wars Republican Romans (really meaning they are using more realistic proportions instead of something that is really quite freakish in appearance …).

These new Roman cavalry figures are listed at 32 Pounds Sterling for 12 … That's like $58!!! For 12 mounted figures.

Looking at them, they appear to be armoured roughly the same as Wargames Factory Roman cavalry but with different helmets and shields.

The Wargames Factory Celts have the same shields these Romans have (centre boss is the same).

The helmets are different (actually just like Theban helmets from the first company). Cursory searching shows a variety of helmets for the Roman cavalry at this time so various heads could possibly be used.

So, why buy another company's expensive metal figures when a person can just use WGF Roman cavalry, Celtic shields and heads from various other sets?! (not to mention you can get the same number of figures for less than half the price!)
wmyers
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby Jack007 » 21 Oct 2014, 18:35

Yea when I got to that part about..
That's like $58!!! For 12 mounted figures.
If that were my 'only' option, I think I'd be buying the big plastic bag of soldiers, that now seem to offer everything from the classic Green Army men, to cowboys and indians, even to knights. And just call it a day. LOL.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
User avatar
Jack007
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 334
Joined: 09 Mar 2014, 02:29
Location: Florida, United States

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby Agamemnon » 22 Oct 2014, 00:18

If Wargames Factory redid their Roman range, I'd be all over it. As is, their pre-china sculpts are pretty dire. But that's a great way to convert if you don't care too much about appearance.
Victrix has done an excellent job on their ancients (chainmail excepted). I wish them future success.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
User avatar
Agamemnon
Crewman
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 21:56
Location: Miskatonic University

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 23 Oct 2014, 09:53

Agamemnon wrote:If Wargames Factory redid their Roman range, I'd be all over it. As is, their pre-china sculpts are pretty dire. But that's a great way to convert if you don't care too much about appearance.
Victrix has done an excellent job on their ancients (chainmail excepted). I wish them future success.


Yes, I would like to see the Caesarian Romans redone. The other sets are fine, in my opinion, but I would love to see more of the various foes redone just because the newest computer sculpting can be so awesome.

Victrix is doing an awe inspiring job at releasing numbers of new sets - just in plastic, to say nothing of metal. WGF should never do a "catch up" scenario but do their own full thing like in the apocalypse (new male zombies NEEDED though!) and Rev War.

They should also not be afraid to cover something done by someone else. Think how limited figures would be if companies said things like, "Elves, goblins, dwarves, skeletons and orcs have been done already - we had better not touch them).

Just think of orcs and skeletons done along the variety and quality line of the newest WGF figure sets!
wmyers
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby bvandewalker » 24 Oct 2014, 00:26

I agree that WGF shouldn't play catch up, which is why I don't think its wise to make the stander fantasy race at this point without a game book (at least not with their standard backgrounds). I think they should do some more exotic races that can be used as proxies for the standard ones or do something different standard ones (preferably something that works with the historic lines WGF already has).

As to the Roman sets, I have heard everything from them being the best thing since sliced bread to them being worth it only because the price. from what I have seen of them, they appear good enough for any future projects I may have (historic or other wise) and I have seen far worse sculpts being sold for higher prices on ebay.
bvandewalker
Captain
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 15:31

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 24 Oct 2014, 19:58

bvandewalker wrote:I agree that WGF shouldn't play catch up, which is why I don't think its wise to make the stander fantasy race at this point without a game book (at least not with their standard backgrounds). I think they should do some more exotic races that can be used as proxies for the standard ones or do something different standard ones (preferably something that works with the historic lines WGF already has).

As to the Roman sets, I have heard everything from them being the best thing since sliced bread to them being worth it only because the price. from what I have seen of them, they appear good enough for any future projects I may have (historic or other wise) and I have seen far worse sculpts being sold for higher prices on ebay.


I really like the WGF Roman sets - I wish there were a couple of differences (heads moulded face out (like the new sets) instead of to the side) and sharper details (like the newest sets) but I think they are really good. I would like to have seen more poses for the Roman Infantry but it is what it is now (hindsight is always supposedly 20/20) and they are still really good.

Yes, there are a lot of metal sculpts by companies that people seem to "rave" over but in comparison to WGF they are no where near as nice. Or if they are as nice, the people who rave over the one, seem to want to denigrate WGF for some unknown reason (perhaps it is because they are not metal?)
wmyers
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 24 Oct 2014, 20:10

I have been going through various sets to find parts for the cavalry and trying to do research on helmets.

Some companies seem to present the Roman cavalry wearing Theban foot soldier's helmets / Macedonian cavalry helmets. So, I can use Theban helmets. Other sources seem a bit scarce but portray the cavalry with different types of helmets - historically cavalry supplied their own horses in Rome at this time and it was dependent upon wealth (and therefore status) for who could/would be in the cavalry.

If they had to supply their own horses, would they have also supplied their own armour (like the Greeks at the time and like the Roman troops under Caesar (those with the money would be greaves for each leg, not just the left/forward one))?

If they did supply their own armour, could not the designs be unique from one to another in the same unit? Not unlike many Greek city-states. So, perhaps a helmet or two from the Numidian's set.

Shields seem to be represented as round with a centre boss (from the WGF Celtic sets).

I went through my shelves and pulled a few sets and washed them tonight. I will have to get some time this week to work on them and post pictures.
wmyers
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby bvandewalker » 25 Oct 2014, 01:13

wmyers wrote:Yes, there are a lot of metal sculpts by companies that people seem to "rave" over but in comparison to WGF they are no where near as nice. Or if they are as nice, the people who rave over the one, seem to want to denigrate WGF for some unknown reason (perhaps it is because they are not metal?)


From what I can tell its because they don't know how to put the plastics together.
bvandewalker
Captain
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 15:31

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby Tripod » 25 Oct 2014, 21:10

I am in the process of making some Macedonian cavalry using the republican horses and legs and WGF Greek hoplite bodies with appropriate heads from the amazons and some victrix Macedonian infantry. As far as I am concerned the sculpts are fine.
Tripod
Chief
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2014, 04:36

Re: Republican Roman Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 26 Oct 2014, 11:15

Tripod wrote:I am in the process of making some Macedonian cavalry using the republican horses and legs and WGF Greek hoplite bodies with appropriate heads from the amazons and some victrix Macedonian infantry. As far as I am concerned the sculpts are fine.


You definitely have to share some pictures!

Which Victrix set are you using for the Macedonians? Or are you using metal figures?

I just bought the Amazons myself - in essence for the helmets and the peltast shields (to be used with Numidians). However, they might be able to be made into something fun (the lack of armour is silly - like in the Celtic chariot sets - the female figure is unusable).
wmyers
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 310
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 11:13

Next

Return to Kit and Figure Conversions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest