Playing Historicals with points.

General wargaming related discussions.

Re: Playing Historicals with points.

Postby Lonnie » 05 Apr 2014, 09:11

They were great fun. I had to use a lot of miniatures owned by friends to get some of the scenarios to work, especially some of the larger tank battles. I'll probably end up purchasing and painting up my own forces for all of the scenarios at some point and maybe play with them using a modified version of the Tobrouk rules.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 09 May 2014, 17:30

Wargames Soldiers and Strategy, latest issue. Article by Richard Clarke, Nails it.
Thanks Clarkie!
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby wmyers » 09 May 2014, 19:25

Lonnie wrote:I've replayed every battle from Avalon Hill's Tobrouk using 15mm miniatures, Battlefront rules and no points. Great fun.

I've got that (Tobruk by AH) plus a lot of other AH games (i.e. Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz). I've been wanting to play Squad Leader with miniatures. 15mm would probably be the best (given map sizes).

When you played, did you use a larger hex map or did you set up a table and just measure or ?
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 09 May 2014, 19:52

Big, big table and we measured. No hexes. I hate hexes (except for AH games).
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 30 Dec 2014, 19:25

In the August 2014 issue of Miniature Wargames, ISSN 0266-3228 published by Atlantic Publishers, there is an article by Andrew Rolph that gets to the point of what I believe and why. I am not entirely sure his system is better, but it is worth a try!
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby zedeyejoe » 16 Aug 2015, 15:27

I see two (or even three) possible situations.

Battles using historical forces, that requires a bit of research which is something that many are loath to do. But if you have a website where people can share their scenarios, then that research becomes available to everyone.

Points. Basically I believe that points are never fair because the terrain and their opponents modify the effectiveness of the troops, so modify the units combat value. But it might make a 'fairish' game. That will suit a lot of gamers because thats all they want to do, play a game.

And the other option, there are people who sell books of historically based scenarios, with victory conditions the works. Sort of like historical gaming without being real history.
zedeyejoe
Cadet

Previous

Return to General Discussions