Playing Historicals with points.

General wargaming related discussions.

Re: Playing Historicals with points.

Postby mrinku » 03 Apr 2014, 22:51

Of course, smaller unit games do allow for more acceptable levels of atypical situations. It's far, far easier to find a squad that was given or obtained special equipment or had an odd organisiation than it is to find a whole batallion.

Although... Germans and their Kampfgruppen... ;)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 04 Apr 2014, 09:58

List building, Points, cheating. . .no, not cheating if it is allowed in the rules ;).
I am of course talking about another companies forums, and where it is quite acceptable to build a list that is the be all, end all of lists. A list to win. Not only acceptable, but seemingly encouraged and scoured over by the multiple rules lawyers to get either approval or scorn, and then no doubt copied.
Points and lists are not verbotten, but. . . well you all know how I feel.
Just seems, in instances I have come across far more than the rest of you, (No that is not a dig, I owned a game store, a GW Stockist shop, that got into FoW. . . ) to fly in the face of the first rule, "to have fun".
Maybe my little LGS had a problem with too many list builder, win, at all cost "hobbyists".
No, No 'maybe' about it! :D
I just agree with some game designers that points are not the best way. . .but the acceptable way to get to the table fast,
and for two guys that like to play a game and enjoy an evening, I'll tip a pint to that!
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Lonnie » 04 Apr 2014, 10:28

Ah but lest we forget, those lists are designed to sell the maximum amount of product, for the most part (from that certain company who I worked for in marketing) and not to be balanced in any way. FoW does a better job of it but you can't stop a player from purchasing all the Tigers or IS2's he can afford.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 04 Apr 2014, 10:46

I had a guy that kept me in business by doing just that! Every other week, at pay day, he would come in and pick up his $700-$1,000 dollars of FoW.
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 04 Apr 2014, 12:43

Historical lists tend to have the reality check filter on. There's a limit to what the marketing department can get away with :)

Battlefront have shown, however, that you can get a good turnover of rulebooks just by making your focus narrower and narrower... And I don't criticise that. Up to the player what they purchase, and you can use the main rulebook or website lists if you want.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 04 Apr 2014, 13:39

When Battlefront sold me their game back in . . . They told me the Pacific sets were to be released the following year.
So far I have seen Vietnam and the Arab-Isreali war. . .
But yeah, to each his own. I prefer Battlegroup Kursk to FoW, and Too Fat Lardies Chain of Command to Bolt Action.
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby smithsco » 04 Apr 2014, 17:22

I do think that Bolt Action does a good job of providing theater selectors for armies in the supplements that prevent anything ridiculous from coming through in an army. Tends to keep it to an infantry platoon with a few supporting weapons. When you're fighting platoon sized or smaller actions though, it is a lot harder to be inaccurate. It is fairly easy to say that two platoons would fight for an objective and have some support and overall be fairly balanced when everything is happening within the scheme of a larger battle.
smithsco
Cadet

Postby mrinku » 04 Apr 2014, 23:41

One potential good source of scenarios for company/battalion level WW2 miniatures is the Old Squad Leader games. Just use the scenario OBs and objectives as appropriate and approximate the terrain as laid out on the boards.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 05 Apr 2014, 05:05

I've replayed every battle from Avalon Hill's Tobrouk using 15mm miniatures, Battlefront rules and no points. Great fun.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 05 Apr 2014, 07:56

Battle Ground and Easy Eight's rules were pretty much Squad Leader revamped.
The mini's were horribly bad and,in my NHO, lead to the demise of Battle Ground. . .and the fact that in the late 90's no one was ready for a WWII skirmish game that had elements of RP.
Lonnie those games just sound like soo much fun. . .might have to dust off my boxes of Avalon Hill games and give it a go!
:D
Mac
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions