a Potential multi genre mass battle system rules

General wargaming related discussions.

Re: a Potential multi genre mass battle system rules

Postby 1classybadger » 28 May 2015, 09:22

the system I employed as is, involves using 3 d10, the first dice indicating direction of deviation, the other two dice indicating direction. then blast radius is determined by halving the weapons strength. its a bit tricky and not the most effective
1classybadger
Commander

Postby zedeyejoe » 28 May 2015, 09:33

I am in the process of developing several rules sets and my general rules are these: Use D6's, IGo UGo (but perhaps by unit rather than each army). measurement system just give a number and let the players decide what measure they want to use.

Ruthlessly pare any complication out. For example with the idea of blast radius it should be based on the cubed root of the power, since the explosion expands in a (theoretical) sphere.
zedeyejoe
Cadet

Postby Jack007 » 31 May 2015, 03:34

1classybadger wrote:getting back to this system, my mind goes to scattering, and how best to accomplish that with a d10

As for 'artillary', (catapault, shells etc) Personally, I dont recall the rules set that I first found this, but it called for a single D8 and was created to be used on a hex map. IIRC, The system worked as follows..

Pick the target hex, roll d8. on a 7 or 8 Bullseye, the 'rock/ shell' lands right on target, any lower number indicated the 'direction the shot deviated". Looking at the hex map and starting at the 'upper/ top' side, direction of the shot, this hex side would be direction " 1 ", proceeding clockwise of course 2, 3 and so on.
If the 1-6 is rolled a 2nd die roll is made to determine 'How far' the shot drifted. Some varied the system a bit depending on ancient vs modern shell fire.
For example if doing a dark age game, most used the D3 idea for maximum distance, while if using modern weapons, the shot could drift up to a full D6 from the intended location.

I have seen the same thing used on open table games for the last few yrs now. I think FOW even had/ has a template just for that purpose.
Badger you might consider using a D8 for this or if you wanted to keep it strictly a D10 game, you could just keep the 1 - 6 for direction / distance of drift but decide for yourself as too whats the "Percent of Accuracy" you want. That is, 7-8 (20%) for example and at the same time you could use the "10" as the shot was over shot so far.. it went "back there some where."

Just some thoughts..hope it helps give you some ideas to working this out.
Good Luck
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 31 May 2015, 11:24

thanks for the input jack
1classybadger
Commander

Postby mrinku » 31 May 2015, 23:55

Beaten zones tend to describe an oval, with the long axis running from the firing unit towards the aim point. This applies just as much to archery as to catapults and howitzers. Basically, any type of shooting above point blank (which is usually defined as the range at which you can hit a stationary target just by aiming directly at it) where you need to account for a missed shot. You could use a d10 with extra results assigned to "further" and "nearer".

The magnitude of the deviation is largely a function of distance (the further you're shooting, the further it will trend from the aim point. I'd suggest a deviation derived from range, using some simple metric (maybe 1" per 12"? Whatever works for you).

Borrowing from Blood Bowl, might I also suggest using multiple deviation rolls to describe a final impact point? Blood Bowl uses three rolls, but I'd experiment to see what feels right. It means most shots will land roughly where they're aimed, but with a fuzzy halo of deviation.

Putting it together, try this as a start:

1. Designate a firing unit and an aim point.

2. Determine range. Deviation amount is 1" for each full 12" of range.

3. Place a marker on the aim point.

4. Roll 3d10. For each result, move the marker the deviation amount in the direction indicated ("North" is directly away from the firing unit towards the aim point): 1-2="North", 3="NE", 4="East", 5="SE", 6-7="South", 8="SW, 9="West", 0="NW"

5. Resolve the effect at the final location of the marker.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Previous

Return to General Discussions