a Potential multi genre mass battle system rules

General wargaming related discussions.

Re: a Potential multi genre mass battle system rules

Postby 1classybadger » 25 Apr 2015, 13:26

part two of the battle report.

the archers, deciding that valour is the better part of valour, retreat to the forest.

the horsemen losing their target, close ranks and charge the boyars

the horsemen fall victim to the boyar infantry's resolve

on the right flank, the levy and huscarls clash, the officer striking down the thane

mean while, the horsemen position themselves to suppourt the action

with covering fire by the archers, the huscarls on the left advance

the boyar horsement launch a timely flank charge

this was the last image I grabbed before game end, the levy moved into the field to defend their poistion
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 25 Apr 2015, 14:23

This looks great 1classybadger, as long as this is fun it should work well.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lord_Bryon » 27 Apr 2015, 07:52

Very nice. thank you for sharing the pictures. I like the fact that you are using a more "lotr" basing system rather than the WFB cramming mini's in system.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby 1classybadger » 27 Apr 2015, 09:40

that was due to the fact that I only had LOTR minis to run the opfor. but I think it works for the variable formation system. the trays and bases for the vikings come from litko
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 28 Apr 2015, 17:40

Many Thanks!
I love reading 'battle reports', all the more when they have pictures. So your rules are based on a D10 system, cool.

I do like the 'irregular' rank bases, not for all but it gives a great variation to the look of an army. Personally I tend to favor square bases, just easier to line up, espcially if like me, you use simple 'open' movement trays. I like Litkos, but cost wise, it was just smarter to make my own and the money saved can help me buy more WF minis.. and expand my Projects To Do Later list. :?

Again, thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 28 Apr 2015, 21:05

you are most welcome. the stats and roll ideas where shamelessly lifted from vampire the masqureade, with each stat representing a number of dice that each unit gets (while serving as the opponents target number. which radically reduced the math involved in combat.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby 1classybadger » 27 May 2015, 14:30

getting back to this system, my mind goes to scattering, and how best to accomplish that with a d10
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 27 May 2015, 19:34

Oh, you mean as in troops scattering. :o

As rule, I would say scattering should happen when a formation or squad loses moral so it should probably just be automatic in that case with the figures running away from the enemy and towards either the nearest table edge or base camp if you have that rule (oh and they have less defense while they do this). If it is that sort of Scattering, than the real thing you need to think about is rallying. ;)

If it is tactical scattering of the offensive nature than you should either treat it as an ambush formation or formulate tactical movement rules (or just treat tactical movement as a formation, which is what I am planning on doing for my rule system when it comes to big battles).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 27 May 2015, 21:31

I was refering to catapults and the like, th
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 28 May 2015, 02:40

1classybadger wrote:I was refering to catapults and the like, th

Ohhh, okay, well that is actually better called splash damage in most of the video games and rule sets I have played and read respectively (my miniature war gaming experiences are rather limited in the playing side of thing, or at least that is how I feel about). :oops:

Given your rule set and the fact that you are placing the figures into tight formations, I think you could just use the D10 to count the number of figures hit by the missile shards, maybe 2 D10 if you want to make it truly devastating for formations and maybe throw in a mechanic for human operator errors like missing the target altogether (I would probably have that be a coin flip).
bvandewalker
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions