1/100 scale Armor Production

General wargaming related discussions.

Re: 1/100 scale Armor Production

Postby Jack007 » 22 Feb 2015, 15:02

Paul wrote: Admittedly WF China does have a lot on their plate. They don't do just wargaming figures.. many companies.. have come looking for tooling and injection.

But WF's owner has expressed every interest in continuing to produce product.

Well that is at least a "hopeful note" on which to focus for the future.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 25 Feb 2015, 18:47

my experience was buying up a 1/100th scale bradely for a sci fi company level game I'm developing, it snapped together easy, but when I wen't to paint it, it took more coats then I ever thought possible to make it look good
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 04 Mar 2015, 19:03

Badger,

Thanks for getting back to me and posting your experience. Your comments and experience seem to run along the same as others that have commented on them else where (TMP).

I have seen a 'few' photos of their actual models. I have to say they are pretty good, but as one commented, they do lack a bit on the "detail" (an observation not a criticism). But unless your main interest is "the" model itself and not the game you intend to use them for, I'd say you cant beat them for the Price per model and the over all look.
Especially if like me, you want full 'Armor Company's' (or more) on the table at the same time and playing just for the fun of having 'kinda big' armor battles w/ litttle in the way of infantry etc.

btw Badger,
I'd love to see what you came up with with your Bradley's, how they came out and the game your doing. Considering its Sci-Fi, are you planning on putting any Walkers in the game? It sounds pretty cool. Good luck with that.
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby wmyers » 28 Mar 2015, 10:29

1classybadger wrote:my experience was buying up a 1/100th scale bradely for a sci fi company level game I'm developing, it snapped together easy, but when I wen't to paint it, it took more coats then I ever thought possible to make it look good

This left me curious. Did you prime the vehicle before painting? If so, what was the difference then in getting it to look good in comparison to other kits?
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 30 Mar 2015, 12:51

I'll be picking up another bradely shortly to paint, so I can show you fine folks the results.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 31 Mar 2015, 01:43

1classybadger wrote:I'll be picking up another bradely shortly to paint, so I can show you fine folks the results.
Now THAT is something I'll be looking forward too seeing.

I have been looking over Zvezda and the Plastic Soldier Company lately, I have to say they both look good. PSC seems to offer more and perhaps a bit better detail. Thats 'just' speculation on my part mind you, having owned neither.

It would be interesting to see the same model in a side by side comparison from the two companies. Just too see how they measure up in compatibility.
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby wmyers » 01 Apr 2015, 18:26

Jack007 wrote:
1classybadger wrote:I'll be picking up another bradely shortly to paint, so I can show you fine folks the results.
Now THAT is something I'll be looking forward too seeing.

I have been looking over Zvezda and the Plastic Soldier Company lately, I have to say they both look good. PSC seems to offer more and perhaps a bit better detail. Thats 'just' speculation on my part mind you, having owned neither.

It would be interesting to see the same model in a side by side comparison from the two companies. Just too see how they measure up in compatibility.

I love to see comparisons and good review images too! There are lots of images on the interweb.

Here are a couple I found:

I initially thought the Zvezda one would be on the right in the darker green, however, the article tries to claim that it is not; the article claims the Zvezda one is on the left. Yet, looking at pictures on the internet, the zvezda one really is the dark green.

Here is a size comparison between 1 Zvezda T-34 and 2 PSC T-34's.

Here they are side by side.

Here is one of the Zvezda compared to the Battlefront. The text states the Zvezda model is, "$4 per model, which is significantly cheaper than Battlefront’s $12.50."

Here are some comparisons to other makes.

PSC sprue.

Here is the Zvezda sprue.

Zvezda (left) Hanomag compared to the Battlefront one.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_Bryon » 02 Apr 2015, 08:50

I can confirm that the Dark Green t34 is the Zvezda model. I have a couple of them. Decent enough for my purposes.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby wmyers » 02 Apr 2015, 21:46

Lord_Bryon wrote:I can confirm that the Dark Green t34 is the Zvezda model. I have a couple of them. Decent enough for my purposes.

It's really interesting to see the differences in the models. I think they all have some very outstanding properties. Yet, they all seem to have different shortcomings! None of them are "perfect" but all of them seem quite nice.

The more I read reviews on them the more I am interested. (I am trying to stay away from that scale as I have TONS of stuff in 28mm to work on and even more in 1/72 - I do have some figures in 15mm and they are quite nice and I think that is a good scale for a table top but there is only so much one person can buy and FAR less can they ever build in their lives ... (maybe I should start a "stash" or "horde" thread ...)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Jack007 » 25 Apr 2015, 14:28

Thanks a ton for posting this!

Personally, NOTHING beats the side by side pics for getting a real idea, "what suits my needs"?
From what Im seeing here, more and more I have to say that PSC is a head on overall detail and finish. Thats not to say Zvezda is a 'bad' set, as Bryon states.. it is a good "decent' model if your main interest is your game. That would be me when looking at simply a Tank / AFV game.
However the Zvezda Hanomag looks much 'cleaner', sharper than Battlefront and by far better in cost.

Just have to find a rule system that is simple but at the same time, uses accurate stats / abilities (more or less).
Jack007
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions