1/100 scale Armor Production

General wargaming related discussions.

1/100 scale Armor Production

Postby Jack007 » 10 Feb 2015, 18:55

Will the company's "New Direction", still involve new lines of models?

I KNOW I brought up the quiestion of which did anyone perrfer, the 1/100 or the 72nd scale for armor and now I cant seem to find it anywhere. :x
Now a fast recap, many repsonded how the genre was basically full if not 'saturated' with the 72nd scale as far as WW II, (if not any era you would want). I certainly dont argue that point. And like many of you Im sure, I too have spent many fun hours building my share of 72nd tanks over my 50 odd years. Personally I prefer the harder to find and far fewer in choice of the 1/100. After all, the slightly smaller, the lower cost, and the more you can put on the table. :mrgreen:

However, yet once again changes (the only constant in the universe) are taking place at the company, so now Im very curious:
Will WF still or even consider getting into the 'model armor and AFV' area of the hobby?

Gentlemen (and ladies w/ respect to Daisy) you may recall sometime in the past, there was considerable talk of WF going into the miniature armor production as well. I believe this was mainly due to support their 15mm infantry lines.
ANY THOUGHTS, COMMENTS, IDEA'S?

OH, on the scale subject. Has ANY one ever delt with or built Zevezda 1/100 scale armor models? I stumbled across them, they seem to have a pretty good selection. But Ive never dealt with or bulit any of them.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Re: 1/100 scale Armor Production

Postby 1classybadger » 10 Feb 2015, 19:16

the zevzda stuff is alright, but takes alot of work to get to a table ready state
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Paul » 10 Feb 2015, 22:09

Hey Jack, we don't have any plans to expand into historical vehicles in any scale in the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean its completely off the table though. We watch for where our industry and customer's interests / spending are headed and make decisions accordingly.
Paul
Site Admin

Postby Agamemnon » 11 Feb 2015, 17:57

Victrix is starting up WWII 1/100th scale aircraft, apparently.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 14 Feb 2015, 14:33

Agamemnon wrote:Victrix is starting up WWII 1/100th scale aircraft, apparently.

Not just apparently. They have released a couple of sets already with some more just about to be released.

There are a lot of companies making 1/100 scale armour. Some are expensive (FOW) some are reasonable (PSC, Zvezda). I think WGF could make a lot of money at it.

Mind you, you need the right designers and researchers. If they got rid of Lonnie who was doing research, that tells me WGF is not interested in designing ANY new historical sets. Possibly not any new sets at all - for any era/area.

They've got 5 sci fi sets ready to go - all they need to do is make the moulds and inject them. If that's up in the air - I, sadly, don't think we should be holding our breath for anything different.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Tripod » 14 Feb 2015, 15:46

Wmyers wrote
"Not just apparently. They have released a couple of sets already with some more just about to be released.

There are a lot of companies making 1/100 scale armour. Some are expensive (FOW) some are reasonable (PSC, Zvezda). I think WGF could make a lot of money at it.

Mind you, you need the right designers and researchers. If they got rid of Lonnie who was doing research, that tells me WGF is not interested in designing ANY new historical sets. Possibly not any new sets at all - for any era/area.

They've got 5 sci fi sets ready to go - all they need to do is make the moulds and inject them. If that's up in the air - I, sadly, don't think we should be holding our breath for anything different. "

It may be true that they could make money from 1/100 scale armour but look at how many makers are doing it already,battlefront,zvezda,plastic soldier,peter pig ,old glory etc.

As for designing new historicals ,we don't know the circumstances of Lonnie's departure so it is no clue to future plans. They may hire a new researcher or subcontract as others companies do.
Having five Scifi sets ready to go is an overstatement if the moulds are not made as this is the most complex part..
When thinking about new sets stop and think about what they are and how many you would actually buy, this is a clue as to how financially successful they will be.
I know that I won't be buying many if any Scifi sets unless they are something really special,whereas if they were historicals of interest such as Sudan war I would be buying 5 boxes at least for each sides main forces.
Things are changing at WGF but let's give them a chance to show what they are planning.
Tripod
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 18 Feb 2015, 17:10

Admin wrote:Hey Jack, we don't have any plans to expand into historical vehicles in any scale in the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean its completely off the table though. We watch for where our industry and customer's interests / spending are headed and make decisions accordingly.

First off, sorry for being slow to reply to these.. (love old computers NOT :evil: )

Ok, Thanks for getting back to me on that. And I must say, I cant disagree. Even though somewhat disappointing, the fact remains your a "comapny" and it would be foolish not to follow 'what the customer is buying now".

1classybadger wrote:the zevzda stuff is alright, but takes alot of work to get to a table ready state

Badger, could you elaborate a bit on that?
Is that due to 'very' small parts, so they break real easy. Or perhaps parts not fitting together properly (bad molds)?

Im really curious because I have noticed the PSC has a really good selection of this scale and a good price for either individual Or 'platoon' sets. However I have no experience with them or their products at all so Im really leary of a company from the far side of the world.
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Jack007 » 18 Feb 2015, 17:24

wmyers wrote: If they got rid of Lonnie who was doing research, that tells me WGF is not interested in designing ANY new historical sets. Possibly not any new sets at all - for any era/area.

They've got 5 sci fi sets ready to go - all they need to do is make the moulds and inject them. If that's up in the air - I, sadly, don't think we should be holding our breath for anything different.

As to the first.. lets hope its not going to be THAT bad. As for the 5 new Sci-fi sets that are 'ready to go', we can ONLY hope they wont be pushed aside while WF does work on Other Companys projects and puts their own on hold.. "until".
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Paul » 18 Feb 2015, 23:21

wmyers wrote:Possibly not any new sets at all - for any era/area.

jack007 wrote:We can ONLY hope they wont be pushed aside while WF does work on Other Companys projects and puts their own on hold.. "until".

Admittedly WF China does have a lot on their plate. Dealing with rapid growth and demand for the company's services has been a big challenge. They don't do just wargaming figures either, many companies from varying industries have come looking for tooling and injection.

But WF's owner has expressed every interest in continuing to produce product. So unless plans were to change drastically there will be new product coming after the ones already mentioned are released.
Paul
Site Admin

Postby wmyers » 19 Feb 2015, 15:08

Jack007 wrote:
wmyers wrote: If they got rid of Lonnie who was doing research, that tells me WGF is not interested in designing ANY new historical sets. Possibly not any new sets at all - for any era/area.

As to the first.. lets hope its not going to be THAT bad. As for the 5 new Sci-fi sets that are 'ready to go', we can ONLY hope they wont be pushed aside while WF does work on Other Companys projects and puts their own on hold.. "until".

Well, the time to release would probably be best sooner than later. The designs would be fresh and the sculpting at current levels of expectations. I am not sure how the future of moulding will go, but with digital design, it could go in directions we are not used to (possibly better/crisper details - shifts to larger scales (ala Jugula) - therefore they would be hard to predict.

However, I would think considering the latest releases, these new sets should look pretty sweet.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Discussions