Poll: What is your preferred wargaming genre?

General wargaming related discussions.

What is your preferred (primary) wargaming genre?

Science Fiction
25%
Fantasy
21%
Historical
46%
Pulp Punk Horror & Wierd
8%

Total votes : 24

Re: Poll: What is your preferred wargaming genre?

Postby Jack007 » 02 Jul 2015, 16:46

tinyminis wrote: I am really interested in Historical with a Fantasy bend.
For example my.. Greeks ally with Amazons and Centaurs to battle Skeletons and Persian Necromancers.
Colonial British Firing Line and Zulus with orc head swaps.
My Romans when not battling true historical "barbarians", are regularly guarding their borders from orcs.

I hope you pop back in to read this.. if (when) you do, I would really like to see some of these posted in the Conversion thread, they sound cool Tiny.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby HalberKill » 02 Jul 2015, 20:26

Luoshangzhi wrote:

I never needwanted something so much that I had never knew I needwanted before.

I've got to track down a copy of that Warbots game!

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby Luoshangzhi » 03 Jul 2015, 00:29

Gang, I'm giving you all fair warning, Warbots and Death Machines is not for the faint of heart! :shock:

You're going to need ten squares to the inch graph paper, a calculator with a square root function, and be willing to take actual measurements from your models and plug them into formulae to determine maximum ground pressure and internal space to plug in components, everything from robot brains and cockpits to pseudomuscles for mechs and powerplants! This game is for the detail obsessed, not anyone who values their sanity! :lol:

But if you insist, here it is:

http://www.tin-soldier.com/sgrules.html

What the design system does is rescale everything to 1/72 scale (the figures for the parent game Starguard! are 1/72 scale), then leave it up to you the hapless player to decide if you can make the model work or not within the design parameters of the game system. A saving grace is that the game rule books also come with some pre-generated stat sheets for some anime models of mechs and such that were commonly available back in the 1980s when Warbots & Death Machines was originally published, including that particular four-legged walking target so many of us are too fond of for our own good.... ;)

You've been warned. :lol:
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby HalberKill » 03 Jul 2015, 13:33

Luoshangzhi wrote:Gang, I'm giving you all fair warning, Warbots and Death Machines is not for the faint of heart! :shock:

You're going to need ten squares to the inch graph paper, a calculator with a square root function, and be willing to take actual measurements from your models and plug them into formulae to determine maximum ground pressure and internal space to plug in components, everything from robot brains and cockpits to pseudomuscles for mechs and powerplants! This game is for the detail obsessed, not anyone who values their sanity! :lol: :

It sounds like my dream game! Unfortunately in the current games generation, there aren't many people willing to play games that simulate reality so closely, so I may not find anyone to play it with. But al least I can have fun statting up my toys, maybe even a Dreamforge Leviathan.

Luoshangzhi wrote:What the design system does is rescale everything to 1/72 scale (the figures for the parent game Starguard! are 1/72 scale), then leave it up to you the hapless player to decide if you can make the model work or not within the design parameters of the game system.

Actually from the site they are 25mm, which is bigger than 1/72, and works well for short 28mm characters. All of the models in my picture are 1/60 scale which is almost exactly 28mm.

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby 1classybadger » 10 Jul 2015, 23:27

Luoshangzhi wrote:Gang, I'm giving you all fair warning, Warbots and Death Machines is not for the faint of heart! :shock:

You're going to need ten squares to the inch graph paper, a calculator with a square root function, and be willing to take actual measurements from your models and plug them into formulae to determine maximum ground pressure and internal space to plug in components, everything from robot brains and cockpits to pseudomuscles for mechs and powerplants! This game is for the detail obsessed, not anyone who values their sanity! :lol:

still not seeing a down side here.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 13 Jul 2015, 00:46

1classybadger wrote:

still not seeing a down side here.

I think what he is saying badger is that: "you might be better off getting a job writing technical readouts in real life where you get paid, because that is the amount effort you are going to have to put into it for this rule set." (sort of like playing skyrim except more obvious :lol: )

Still I would pick it up off a table for $5.00 just for the picture of the AT-AT versus votoms trooper mecha (at least I think it is a votoms trooper mecha :? ).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Luoshangzhi » 15 Jul 2015, 01:27

HalberKill wrote:
Actually from the site they are 25mm, which is bigger than 1/72, and works well for short 28mm characters. All of the models in my picture are 1/60 scale which is almost exactly 28mm.

Halber

Nope. 1/72 scale as in 1 inch = 6 feet is 25mm scale especially since Reviresco's figures most notably their Starguard! line of which Warbots & Death Machines is a part are all rendered in 1/72 as in 25mm as in 1 inch = 6 feet measuring from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet of the figure not counting headgear or footwear. Remember that the parent game system -Starguard!- was originally published in 1974, back when the overwhelming preponderance of wargaming figures were WW2 plastics rendered in (you guessed it!) 1/72 scale.

John McEwan -who co-authored Starguard!, wrote Warbots & Deathmachines, AND sculpted all the figures for Starguard! and the overwhelming lion's share of the vehicles and such kits that are part of that game universe is as Old School as they come. He started out with 1/72 scale Napoleonics made by among others Jack Scruby, THE founding father of miniature wargaming in North America if memory serves correct. John is an environmental engineer by trade, so he's always been a bit of a stickler for accurate measurements and scaling, and he even went so far as to try and persuade the various other miniatures manufacturers in the U.S. to standardize their figure scales the way the model railroad industry had done, but alas, to no avail as each and every figure maker decided to stick to what they personally were comfortable sculpting, and make up the "scale" and standards of measurement as they went along! :shock:

For the record, I personally have contributed some background material and even a number of vehicle designs that are part of the Starguard! canon, including my very first prototype sci-fi vehicle design to ever enter production, the Ralnai "Leaping Beast" scout walker (Federation codename: Chickenfoot):

I still own several hundred Starguard! figures and vehicles, many dating back to the 1970s when I first played the game in high school (although they have been repainted since I first acquired them after I discovered the wonders of water-based acrylic paints!). I'll just have to bite the bullet and post a photo shoot of some of my Starguard! collection on my blog to clear up the confusion once and for all with regards to the scale of these classic sci-fi models... ;)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 15 Jul 2015, 01:34

bvandewalker wrote:
I think what he is saying badger is that: "you might be better off getting a job writing technical readouts in real life where you get paid, because that is the amount effort you are going to have to put into it for this rule set." (sort of like playing skyrim except more obvious :lol: )

Yup. :lol:

bvandewalker wrote:Still I would pick it up off a table for $5.00 just for the picture of the AT-AT versus votoms trooper mecha (at least I think it is a votoms trooper mecha :? ).

Dougram, actually:

It is quite a classic anime military mecha source if you can still scare up the kits:

Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_Bryon » 15 Jul 2015, 07:59

Call them what you want Leland but I see Shadowhawk, Griffon, Thunderbolt, Battlemaster, and Scorpion battlemechs here. Awesome models by the way. I'd love to get a few of those Thunderbolts, was always my favorite Inner sphere mech in the battletech game.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby HalberKill » 15 Jul 2015, 17:39

Luoshangzhi wrote:
HalberKill wrote:

Halber

Nope. 1/72 scale as in 1 inch = 6 feet

This is true, just as 1/60 scale is undeniably and concretely 1 inch = 5 feet.

Luoshangzhi wrote:1 inch = 6 feet is 25mm scale

This is possible but not always the case and frequently isn't so. XXmm scale is a relative scale, not an exact scale, the statement
Luoshangzhi wrote: measuring from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet of the figure not counting headgear or footwear.
proves this. XXmm scale is whatever you say it is, both 1/72 = 25mm and 1/60 = 25mm, are true, and both useless for comparative scaling, whereas 1/72, or 1/60 is a ratio and exact no matter the unit of measurement. 1/60 is 1 inch = 60 inches (5 feet) or 1 cm = 60 cm.

The At-at and dougram model are both 1/60 scale. Call them whatever XXmm scale you want, they are still 1/60 according to the model's measured size and the thing being modeled's given size. After browsing their site, I realized I already had a number of Starguard minis including your chicken walker. I was just looking for aliens than looked alien, and not humans with rubber masks. But in measuring the humans, if they are 1/72 scale, then they are 8 foot giants, which may be true considering Halo's Master Chief is an 8 foot advanced human.

This is why in general I don't use XXmm scales, because they are pretty much useless.

Luoshangzhi wrote:[For the record, I personally have contributed some background material and even a number of vehicle designs that are part of the Starguard! canon, including my very first prototype sci-fi vehicle design to ever enter production, the Ralnai "Leaping Beast" scout walker (Federation codename: Chickenfoot):

Very cool!
HalberKill
Crewman

Previous

Return to General Discussions