Poll: What is your preferred wargaming genre?

General wargaming related discussions.

What is your preferred (primary) wargaming genre?

Science Fiction
25%
Fantasy
21%
Historical
46%
Pulp Punk Horror & Wierd
8%

Total votes : 24

Poll: What is your preferred wargaming genre?

Postby Paul » 18 Feb 2015, 22:59

We're always looking to get a feel for where our customers interests reside. This topic comes up fairly often but we're interested in knowing where our regular forum visitors stand. Please feel free to elaborate with posts below. :)

- Using the same categories that BOW uses if that clarifies things for anyone.
- Poll also running on our facebook if you want to participate there as well.
Paul
Site Admin

Re: Poll: What is your preferred wargaming genre?

Postby Lord_Bryon » 19 Feb 2015, 07:41

By Far Fantasy. However, a distant 2nd would be Sci Fi Especially Sci Fi with giant robot killing machines ie.. battletech
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby 1classybadger » 19 Feb 2015, 10:01

"you dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots, we dig giant robots." to quote Megas XLR, which formed my love of mech in general
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 19 Feb 2015, 14:30

I like fantasy most when all is said and done, but Sci-Fi is a close second and I love historical sets because they are a cheap way to build unique fantasy armies, particularly Asian historical sets (although I would love to see some medieval/late renaissance Russians).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 19 Feb 2015, 15:02

My personal favourite is Historical. Within that genre, ancients and medieval (not just Western Europe, but also Rus/Eastern Europe and Arabs (Crusades, invasion of Europe (El Cid era Reconquista, Charles Martel). Peasant levies. Some things that have not been done in plastic for 28mm.

I do like science fiction, as well. Specifically more "Starship Troopers" type of sci fi - as well as the apocalypse sets you guys have already done.

I also used to like fantasy. I do not, so much, anymore because of the just plain silly elements that have been included (all the good stuff has been done, so to try to get an "edge" on all the over-done-to-death elements we will get just plain stupid and/or inappropriate to attempt to appeal to the perceived immature nature of gamers as well as shock value).

I do really like the WGF skeletons and Orcs, though. Fantasy with historical elements would be interesting (i.e. Greek Mythology). As well, general hard fantasy troops such as (decently done!) Dwarves, Humans, halflings, and Elves. Perhaps a redone Orcs set and a Goblin set(?).

For Humans, perhaps an "adventurers" series - one of male and the other of female - like the apocalypse sets.

Perhaps a generic "adventurers" series, as well - one that has elves, humans, dwarves, halflings in it - then you can choose from a variety of arms (holding weapons) and heads? Again, one set of men and one of women.

Perhaps mounted adventurers too.

Fantasy cavalry sets (humans, elves, dwarves, halflings (on your ponies already made - just a new saddle - but one that is usable for other figures as well so you can sell sprues of saddles to fit on your ponies so they would be good for medieval figures (Welsh/Highlands ponies as well as smaller horses used throughout Briton and by levies of other countries (yes, I am thinking of Saga)).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 19 Feb 2015, 18:24

Sci-Fi is my preferred. But it's also the most generic category.

I'd like to get more into horror and pulp, though, as the "far future" aspect that is dominating SF at the moment is a bit overdone (IMO, of course).
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby HalberKill » 19 Feb 2015, 21:27

Mine is Fantasy, but I love historical so that I can add time travel to my fantasy games.
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 19 Feb 2015, 23:30

HalberKill wrote:Mine is Fantasy, but I love historical so that I can add time travel to my fantasy games.

Or pull the Heroscape gambit.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby tbopper1 » 21 Feb 2015, 02:49

Had to go historical, but a Tolkien like fantasy line would most likely out do that. I have purchased 3 boxes of orcs (best in the biz in my opinion), and one box of Ashigaru and Gaelic chariots (converted to easterlings) as fantasy goes. No interest in high fantasy, epic fantasy, or weird fantasy. I would love to see a continuation of your fantasy line but would not touch it if it differed in style from the orcs.

As historicals go I like Dark Age and Ancients. I have purchased 3 boxes each of Greeks and Numidians, and 2 boxes each of your Viking and Saxon range. I like the look of you're 28mm WWII but I do that in 1/72 and 15mm, and to be honest there is better out there in 15's. Oh, I also bought some Persians (cav and foot). A kick ass line of Bronze Age miniatures would be great but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The Revolution kits looked good but the role out was to long, lost interest.

To be honest, I have not purchased WGF figures in some time because my interests differ than your releases but I stand ready to gobble up what ever you produce, if in my gaming genre. With the customization and quality that is now offered in you're sets you are easily a "go to" company when looking for figs, we have just been on divergent paths of late.

Colin

P.S. #'s of boxes purchased given just so you can evaluate me as a customer.

P.S.S. more or less what wmyers said, a sensible man to be sure.
tbopper1
Cadet

Postby TheInsane » 21 Feb 2015, 07:57

Is it a bad thing if I have no genre? I'm a hobbyist. I buy minis that I like the look of, then I scramble them with other minis to make my own things. That being said, I've got ideas for just about everything WGF makes.
TheInsane
Crewman

Next

Return to General Discussions