Size Of Your Unbuilt Stash

General wargaming related discussions.

Size Of Your Unbuilt Stash

Postby wmyers » 02 Apr 2015, 22:03

As someone who came to 28mm figures through the aspect of scale modelling, I can state with some authority that among model builders the vast majority have stashes of unbuilt kits.

I can see the potentiality of even more stashed kits among figure builders due to the fact you can start a kit and build a few figures and still have some or even a sizeable amount left over to put back on the shelf.

I have not counted the number of 28mm sets I have (the fact I need to count them somehow tells me there must be a lot ...). Mind you, it can be a bit different because of the number of very small sets and individual figures that can be purchases in metal. I guess I am referring to boxed plastic sets or boxed sets of figures of metal (i.e. the olde Star Wars figure sets from West End Games - or the other contemporary manufacturers that are in competition with WGF - even though I think they should be considered as complimentary - but I know Lonnie thought of them more in the competition way for understandable reasons).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Re: Size Of Your Unbuilt Stash

Postby bvandewalker » 03 Apr 2015, 21:03

If we are just talking about the building angle, the only figure set I have used up has been my WGF Viking Huscarl set, I have also built some snap-it models.

If we are talking paint and build, than nothing except the pre painted snap-it models are done.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 03 Apr 2015, 23:30

bvandewalker wrote:If we are just talking about the building angle, the only figure set I have used up has been my WGF Viking Huscarl set, I have also built some snap-it models.

If we are talking paint and build, than nothing except the pre painted snap-it models are done.

Not the building angle - the unbuilt angle.

I was wondering if it is common for people to have many figure sets that are not yet either started or completed.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 04 Apr 2015, 14:36

Well, if you must know :D . For plastics I have 8 unfinished sets of WGF figures (3 orc boxes and all the rising sun sets with a duplicate ashigura spears set), I also have around 60 un-built WGF mini spur Persians. Beyond WGF I have four GW kits (one set I got of ebay in a lot and three I got when the local comic book shop closed), one starship troopers walker, several Imex 1/72 scale figures on spurs, some Arcane legions spurs, one fire forge spur, and four none war games related model sets (two 1/144 scale anime robot kits, one pod racer model, and a 1/48 jet fighter I need to build up).

As to metals, I would have to look at them, there is a lot.
Last edited by bvandewalker on 01 May 2015, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Jack007 » 28 Apr 2015, 18:04

Im 'sad' to say I have great self control when it comes to holding back (I hate that) when it comes too buying 'what I want - when I want it". Other wise I'd be up to my arm pits in Zulu's, WW II, and boxes of AWI I believe.

Right now I have a full box of untouched zulu's.
A few 'still to do' unarmored viking and saxon's that I will mix and match, as I did the armored sets to make make my Dark Age regular's.
Im about 5 minis away from getting my 2 boxes of Colonial British put together... note I didnt say finished (base detailing etc). ;) If Im lucky that will happen over the summer (I hope).
Then there are about 5 - 6 boxes of LOTR that Ive had, some for several months others a few years that have yet to even be opened.
I even found one box of the fire/ acid bug sets I got off ebay that I never opened. Man that game (SST) seemed to vanish even before it got going good.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 28 Apr 2015, 18:32

I'm just going to talk about WGF items and leave my GW items with no further mention.

I have:
1.66 boxes of unbuilt Zombie Vixens.
1 Box of Survivors: The Men
1 Box of Survivors: The Women
2 Boxes of Shock Troopers--that I'll probably never get to finishing
0 Boxes of Woodland Indians (need to get one)
0 Boxes of retooled male zombies (need to get 2)
0 Boxes of Biker Gang (need to get 3(?))
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Corporal-Chaos » 29 Apr 2015, 19:15

I prefer not to say. It is huge....lol
Corporal-Chaos
Cadet

Postby HalberKill » 29 Apr 2015, 20:23

Well, it's probably more efficient to list what I have built. I have built at least 2 minis from every set I have, and one whole WWII Soviets set.

Mostly unbuilt sets include:
Apocalypse survivors men & women
Eisenkern storm troopers 20 man plus accessory set
Viking Huscarls
Saxon Thegns
British Infantry x2
Continental Infantry
Colonial Militia
Woodland Indians x3
Persian Infantry plus many additional sprues
Amazon Warriors
Celt Chariots
Numidians
Ancient German Warband x2
Orc Warband
Skeleton Warriors
Samurai Warriors x2
Ashigaru Yari Troops (Spearmen)
Ashigaru Missile Troops
Samurai Cavalry
Zulu Warriors
WWII German Infantry x2
WWII American Infantry

And that's just my WF stuff. I was going through my LotR stuff and realized I had 8 boxes of Haradrim Warriors. Yikes.
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby Paul » 30 Apr 2015, 12:35

Halberkill, you rock! Thank you for buying such a wide array of our kits! When you do get to assembling and painting you'll have to post some pictures. ;)
Paul
Site Admin

Postby tinyminis » 30 Apr 2015, 19:21

Just counting my Wargames Factory:

240 male zombies (10 of the old 24 per package sets)
roughly 40 or so orcs (pile of sprues with bits used for this that and whatever, but still have lots of legs and bodies)
90 skeletons (3 boxes)
About 200 British Firing Line still (had 9 boxes, I think I only built 1 so far)
2 more chariots still to build (plus need a couple more boxes yet)
I have something like $400 worth of the Persian mini sprue bundles, I think only have a few dozen figures actually built.
A box or 2 worth of Celt Cavalry waiting to be converted to orcs.
A box and a half of male apocalypse survivors.

I think that is about everything Wargames Factory wise that is unbuilt. I have pretty close to the same amount built in various stages of painting. 300+ Zulus, 500+ Romans, another 240 Zombie males, a couple boxes of Shock Troopers, Amazons, Greeks and the stuff mentioned above.
Plus either in May or June I hope to start collecting War of Spanish Succession for some Imagi-Nation gaming with One Hour Wargaming.
tinyminis
Cadet

Next

Return to General Discussions