28mm plastic Gladiators

General wargaming related discussions.

28mm plastic Gladiators

Postby Mark still » 05 May 2015, 05:01

Hello All,
Just joined the forum after asking Wargames Factory about plastic gladiators, nice bunch of people got a very quick reply thanks guys for that!

After watching Sparticus the series (Got the complete box set) gave me inspiration for a amphitheater combat game decided upon Morituri Te Salutant - Gladiator Rules by Black Hat miniatures. A real bargain price & you can print the cards needed for free.
Any how enough of that!

After much trawling through miniature companies, not much was available & what was either came in packs of 4-6 with some useless poses, or buy Irregular miniatures, the only one to sell them individually. Settled upon these.
Still wanted different posses got a few Greek & Roman sprues & Gladiator heads from CP models UK & set to work.
The overall look worked well but was quite costly in P&P alone. Added to the cost of Sprues & accessories was also a fair chunk of cash, but rewarding in the end.
afterward thought it would be brilliant if a company made plastic gladiators. Not only for Gladiatorial games but also the Sparticus revolt in Capua, leading to the mass battles of the Rebels.
what do you guys think about asking Wargames Factory to make these in multipart plastic so we can pose them as we want without having to revert to conversion work?
Mark still

Re: 28mm plastic Gladiators

Postby bvandewalker » 05 May 2015, 17:09

welcome to the forums Mark still. There are couple reasons these guys have not been done, but I can tell you that figures with Gladiator armor and weapons are not (sadly :cry: ) necessary or even historically accurate for Spartacus' famous revolt since it is well recorded that the escapees ditch their gladiator trapping in shame, believe it or not, and picked up Roman weapons. you could probably make a historically accurate version of Spartacus' followers by mixing the WGF's Roman line sets together with maybe some Zulus thrown in. The only element missing would be figures to represent the female contingent (another reason to do girls in tunic dresses :lol: ).

Gladiators would be fun, but the only reason to do them in plastic at this point would be for fantasy slave levy troops and those of us who really want the Hollywood version of Spartacus revolt (beware of button counters).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Jack007 » 05 May 2015, 18:43

bvandewalker wrote:There are couple reasons these guys have not been done, but I can tell you that figures with Gladiator armor and weapons are not (sadly :cry: ) necessary or even historically accurate for Spartacus' famous revolt since it is well recorded that the escapees ditch their gladiator trapping in shame, believe it or not,..
Not the smartest of all moves. "Shame" or not.. that kind of pride can and probably did get (more than) a few killed.
bvandewalker wrote: and picked up Roman weapons. you could probably make a historically accurate version of Spartacus' followers by mixing the WGF's Roman line.. with maybe some Zulus thrown in. The only element missing would be figures to represent the female contingent (another reason to do girls in tunic dresses..

A few Numidian bodies / weapons might add to the variety as well. And I whole heartedly agree on the need for females warriors in the 'Tunis dress'. And still think they 'missed that one' when deciding on the final look of the Amazons. Just MHO there.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 05 May 2015, 20:52

Jack007 wrote:
bvandewalker wrote:There are couple reasons these guys have not been done, but I can tell you that figures with Gladiator armor and weapons are not (sadly :cry: ) necessary or even historically accurate for Spartacus' famous revolt since it is well recorded that the escapees ditch their gladiator trapping in shame, believe it or not,..
Not the smartest of all moves. "Shame" or not.. that kind of pride can and probably did get (more than) a few killed.

Maybe, but that's history and they probably looted an armory or two as well about the same time they escaped, in which case ditching the irregular clown armor and weapons made for gladiators for more practical legionnaire gear is just the smart thing to do ;) . (although I might be wrong on the armor now that I am looking the wiki article, but who knows how accurate the article actually is, I have found the wiki to be wrong before and I heard about the armor ditching on the pervious forum when we talked about it, so meh).

I think the reason the revolt ended so badly was that old Sparky and his compatriots (like so many revolutionaries) bit off more than they could chew, he should have just marched out of Rome and her territories instead of raiding. Quit frankly rebellions tend to be bad for the people rebelling, even when they win it almost always ends poorly for them.

Jack007 wrote:A few Numidian bodies / weapons might add to the variety as well. And I whole heartedly agree on the need for females warriors in the 'Tunis dress'. And still think they 'missed that one' when deciding on the final look of the Amazons. Just MHO there.

When I was referring to the WGF Roman line, I meant all of it, particularly the Numidians, Germans, and Celts.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lord_Bryon » 06 May 2015, 07:45

I've made a gladiator proposal in the past. I'm totally in. I want to use them as a mercenary unit in Kings of War, but more importantly I think they'd make great bandits and PC's for my D&D game.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Return to General Discussions