What's going on?

General wargaming related discussions.

What's going on?

Postby Pumika » 05 May 2015, 07:54

I just read this in North Star's latest Newsletter:

I'll start this letter with letting you know we're running a mini Spring Sale in our Bargain Basement right now. We didn't plan to, but these things sometimes just happen!
Part of the sale is the Wargames Factory and Dreamforge ranges. We are no longer carrying those lines, so we're selling off what stock we have.
The sale won't last long, so if there's something you fancy, grab it now.

North Star Military Figures Limited (http://www.northstarfigures.com) is one of the biggest distributors and retailers of wargaming figures, terrain and accessories in Europe, located in Nottingham, UK.
I wonder what has happened that they stopped carrying any Wargames Factory (and Dreamforge) ranges? Don't blame it on shipping or customs cost as they still offer other US brands, which have the same issues. Loosing such a big customer in Europe is no small issue and will definitely not help in boosting sales across the pond.

I have the gut feeling that the recent changes at Wargames Factory were not merely personal ones. Could it be that WGF will disappear as an independent manufacturer and will concentrate on production for third party companies (like Renedra in the UK)?
And my next guess is that we will never see sets 5 and 6 of the American Revolution series at all! What about all the hype in the beginning? What about the almost simoultaneous release of Joe Krone's "Land of the Free", which was a perfect match for that figure range?
I guess that same major decisions have been taken back in China and the poor guys in the US had to take the consequences (Daisy, Lonnie) or cannot talk freely due to company policies (Paul).

What do you guys think?
Pumika
Cadet

Re: What's going on?

Postby Paul » 05 May 2015, 13:03

I'll try to set the record straight wherever possible. I can't provide a lot of details at this time, but there have been some new developments.

Wargames Factory is currently negotiating with Warlord Games to handle the sales & distribution for all Wargames Factory products. The impetus of this is to make WGF products more available to those in Europe. Retailers and Distributors in the EU would order from Warlord rather from our US warehouse and no longer need to pay customs and import fees.

Regarding the release of future kits. The tooling is finished and in several cases production has been run for the last two AWI kits as well as some of the "Sci-Fi" kits that have been mentioned. They ARE going to be released in one way or another, too much money has been invested in them to just drop the kits by the wayside.

There are a lot of details to be looked at and worked out. Everything mentioned is subject to change, but those are the broad strokes.
Paul
Site Admin

Postby 1classybadger » 05 May 2015, 15:03

thank you for the update paul. and hopefully the negotiation goes well for the company.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Pumika » 05 May 2015, 16:46

Thanks, Paul.
First of all it's good to hear that future prdocuts will be coming.
On the other hand choosing a competitor as the sole sales and distribution partner for the European market sounds weird to me. I know that a lot can be negotiated and put into contracts but I fear the worst for Wargames Factory. Warlord Games is slowly but steadily growing and in my eyes is tyring to dominate the market (like the other big company from Nottingham called Games Workshop). Smaller ranges are bought and integrated into their portfolio or simply disappear. Independent manufacturers have a hard time staying on the market. And as WG is also a retailer their presence is felt on that sector, too.
If it really comes to this, I think WGF might in the long run be the big loser.
Pumika
Cadet

Return to General Discussions