Kitbashing

General wargaming related discussions.

Kitbashing

Postby Warriar » 10 Jun 2015, 22:17

How do you use the extra weapons on the survivors sprue without extra open hand arms, i was looking to add some ak-47s and m-16s to ww2 minis and don't see a easy way to do it without extensive work.I was hoping for some tips from the more experienced on here as i have seen some phenomenal conversions on here including the taliban and warhammer minis.
Warriar

Re: Kitbashing

Postby bvandewalker » 11 Jun 2015, 04:39

I would be interested in that too. I think though it involves gun handle cutting.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby TheInsane » 11 Jun 2015, 08:00

There are plenty of ways of doing it. It all depends on how in-depth and detailed you want to get. Do you have ANY open hands to use, at all? Cut the hand from the arm you want to use, cut off the open hand you want to use figure the proper angle, and splice. Yes, that was a way horribly, down and dirty, simplification... But, when you get down to it, that's one way of doing it. If all you have is closed fists, then yes, cut the grip of the gun, and glue it to the fist. What I would do is cut the fist off of the arm you are intending to use, glue it to the gun you want to splice on, at the grip angle you want, then splice the fist and gun back on to the arm in the position you want. Hopefully this little bit helps, there is a lot more I could go in to, but let me know if this has given you any help. If it has, and you want to know more, then I could always get into more detail.
TheInsane
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 12 Jun 2015, 05:17

First and easiest is to just use the spare weapons slung. Even with my Taliban models I used that trick a couple of times.

Then, as mentioned above, the next simplest is to trim off the weapon grip and use a hand with a fist, or trim an unwanted gun body and use that.

Lastly, if you have a suitable open hand arm you may be able to make it work, but this can be quite fiddly.

These WIP pictures of my Talibans may help a little. You can see examples of all of the ideas discussed above:

I used the Persian Infantry models as a base and they come supplied with open hand arms. Most of the older WGF kits do, and at the end of the day you just need the hand if the rest of the arm isn't right.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Warriar » 14 Jun 2015, 21:35

I want to thank everyone for there suggestions,it was just a difficult situation i guess i should have looked at the pics of the sprues more closely i bought 10 boxes and the only free hands in any of the boxes that i seen was in the orc boxes.The problem with your suggestion is most of the weapons in the ww2 boxes are not pistol grip rifles so it will look awkward to splice the survivor aks and m-16s on the soldiers because of the different angle they hold the weapons at.I am leery of cutting and drilling out the hands because they are not heroic size.
Warriar

Postby TheInsane » 14 Jun 2015, 22:25

Warriar, even though the hands might be at a different grip angle (for holding a Springfield '03, or Garand, I am assuming), you can still, as described, splice the hand to an arm at the proper angle. What I would do is remove the hand from the 'scrap arm', glue it on to the weapon you want the hand holding (AR/AK), then splice the hand to the desired arm at the proper angle. It sounds complicated, but try it once, me thinks you might find that it is a lot more simple than it sounds. I could post pictures for you to illustrate the steps above, but I am currently on training orders until the 27th. However, if you are still having trouble with things at that point, I will try to put together a 'step by step' for you, so you can see exactly what we are talking about.
TheInsane
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 15 Jun 2015, 18:41

TheInsane's method is good. Another trick would be to use arms from other kits which are pistol grip hands and convert the sleeve to look like it should. In many cases this will be simply adding a cuff, which is a very useful technique to learn anyway. It's also a way to use any spare arms from the Apoc kits which are holding the rifles in a firing or ready pose if their sleeves look different.

Another solution is to have the rifle being carried or held, but not aimed (perhaps the model is throwing a grenade or pointing).
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Return to General Discussions