Size comparison photo of the Woodland Indians

General wargaming related discussions.

Size comparison photo of the Woodland Indians

Postby Gallahad » 19 Jul 2015, 22:56

I have scoured the internet looking for comparison photos of the Woodland Indians next to other miniatures. I haven't been able to find anything. I am primarily interested in photos of the Indians next to common fantasy or sci-fi miniatures. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome. A comparison to Perry or Fireforge plastic minis would also be helpful.

Since they also likely scale well with the other AWI minis, a scale comparison of any of the other AWI minis with common fantasy or sci-fi minis would also be helpful.

Thanks for any help!
Gallahad
Cadet

Re: Size comparison photo of the Woodland Indians

Postby wmyers » 21 Jul 2015, 21:11

Gallahad wrote:I have scoured the internet looking for comparison photos of the Woodland Indians next to other miniatures. I haven't been able to find anything. I am primarily interested in photos of the Indians next to common fantasy or sci-fi miniatures. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome. A comparison to Perry or Fireforge plastic minis would also be helpful.

Since they also likely scale well with the other AWI minis, a scale comparison of any of the other AWI minis with common fantasy or sci-fi minis would also be helpful.

Thanks for any help!

A size comparison photo should be god. Although, due to the fact these are computer designed, I think they will be of identical height to the other figures released recently. Others like the Rev. War British and Yankees as well as the Apoc. Survivors and the Zombie Vixens.

The Perry WWII figures I do not have but have seen comparisons and they are quite a bit smaller, it seems, than their other figures (Medieval) in plastic and therefore smaller than other brands who have WWII figures.

I would say you have nothing to worry about, if you are worried about scale, with WGF's newest releases. They are top-notch in sculpting and detail - albeit some basic mistakes (no straps for Rev. War canteens, no quivers for bows, no arms for firing bows) and albeit some cheap cost-cutting schemes (putting the bases on the sprues with the figures instead of a separate universal base sprue and leaving more room open on the sprue for accessories, figures, heads, etc).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Dr Mathias » 22 Jul 2015, 12:43

What would you like to see them compared with specifically?
… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Blog: Dr Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Postby Gallahad » 25 Jul 2015, 23:50

Thanks for the replies guys. I would like to see them compared to Fireforge plastics, specifically the foot sergeants. I would also like to see them next to Alkemy Aurlock miniatures or any of the prepainted Rackham stuff, but that is a pretty long shot.

A general comparison next to any GW mini would also be extremely helpful (Chaos warriors, empire state troops, really anything).

I would like to game some fantasy French and Indian War with the miniatures, and possibly use some of them in a general fantasy skirmish setting, but I am concerned about the possibility of all of their weapons breaking (as is common with most of the WGF miniatures I own.)
Gallahad
Cadet

Postby Gallahad » 11 Aug 2015, 23:40

Anybody???
Gallahad
Cadet

Postby wmyers » 12 Aug 2015, 00:50

Gallahad wrote:Anybody???

I do not have the Indians or I would post a photo. I am sure somebody has them - however, whether or not they have Fireforge figures (I do, but no Indians ...) or Alkemy (I have no idea what they are) or Packham (same thing, no idea). I can also state I really do not have any GW stuff (that may seem strange to many, but I have never been a GW fan - I think I found some sprues of space marines at a charity store once, but I have no idea where they are nor have I built them.

I could take pics of other WGF figures (new ones), but not the Indians, sorry.

Do you have any of the new WGF figures (i.e. Male/Female Survivors, Zombie Vixens, WW2 American, Germans or commies? The other Rev. War figures?)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Gallahad » 14 Aug 2015, 19:24

Thanks wymers, I don't have any of the new WGF figures. I do have lots of the old ones though if you have any of those? I appreciate your help.
Gallahad
Cadet

Postby wmyers » 16 Aug 2015, 01:33

Gallahad wrote:Thanks wymers, I don't have any of the new WGF figures. I do have lots of the old ones though if you have any of those? I appreciate your help.

I am sure Lonnie would have had pics up the same day, but unfortunately he lost his job with the company and I have a feeling Paul has to wear many hats at WGF.

Here are some pictures. Sorry it took me a bit of time:

ImageIMG_20150815_233057 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

This is all Wargames Factory figures except for the one Fireforge Foot Sergeant. From L to R they are: WW2 German, Saxon (with Perry arms), WW2 commie, Hoplite, Woman Survivor, Saxon slinger (possible Victrix arm or Numidian arm), Rev. War Continental Inf., Fireforge, Grenadier, Persian and Skeleton.

Hopefully you have some of these older figures (I alternated newer figures with older to show the size and sculpting - the newest figures have much better weapon designs (note the barrel on the Woman Survivor's gun - it is large and robust but does not look too out of scale).

ImageIMG_20150815_233144 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Here is a close-up showing the Rev. War figures flanking the Fireforge figure. The Indians should be the same size as the two Rev. War figures.

ImageIMG_20150815_233316 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Another angle.

ImageIMG_20150815_233416 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Here is another Fireforge figure and you can see the WGF Hoplite along with the Rev. War figures for size comparison. The WGF figures are all more upright than the Fireforge ones (I chose the two poses that are the most upright).

ImageIMG_20150815_233810 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

I am not sure what other figures you may have so here they are with (from L to R) Victrix Hoplite, Victrix Carthagian Roman, Agema Roman, and off to the far right a metal Agema Roman).

ImageIMG_20150815_233930 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Here they are with (from L to R) Perry 100 Years War foot soldier, Perry Foot Knight, and off to the far right two Gripping Beast dark ages Saxons.

ImageIMG_20150815_234511 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Here they are with some WW2 figures. From L to R Tamiya German, Warlord commie commissar, to the right of the Grenadier WGF commie, Warlord German and Plastic Soldier Company commie.

ImageIMG_20150815_234557 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Side view of the suspects.

ImageIMG_20150815_234624 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Back view of same suspects.

ImageIMG_20150815_234724 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Grenadier flanked by Fireforge.

ImageIMG_20150815_235646 by voiceofrevolt, on Flickr

Here is a size comparison with Wargames Factory EIR Cavalry. The cavalry figures have heads from Victrix (first 3 from L to R) and an Amazon from WGF head added to make the figures more usable for Roman Cavalry for the Carthaginian Wars. The spears on some have been substituted with metal ones from NorthStar.

Hope these photos help.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Gallahad » 16 Aug 2015, 10:53

Wymers you are awesome! That is just what I needed to see. Thank you! One of the things I like best about the WGF figures is the quality of the heads. Their faces are really great.
Gallahad
Cadet

Postby wmyers » 16 Aug 2015, 13:06

Gallahad wrote:Wymers you are awesome! That is just what I needed to see. Thank you! One of the things I like best about the WGF figures is the quality of the heads. Their faces are really great.

Thank you.

The faces really are very good - much more realistic than many other makers and they are all unique. Some of the heads are dedicated (such as one for blowing an horn and the cheeks are puffed out, noticeably overweight faces for overweight bodies, etc).

I have read on various forums how people are using the extra heads they have left over to replace the heads on other makers' figures they have!

That might be an idea for WGF - to sell head sculpts. Many other makes (i.e. Warlord) sell heads with different headgear for a lot of money (again Warlord). WGF should just sell sets of heads; maybe mini sprues or even by era (i.e. a sprue of WW2 heads with German, American and Russian). Or make new sculpts to sell to both those with other makes of figures as well as those with WGF sets.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Return to General Discussions