dark age Forts on KS and puzzle castels

General wargaming related discussions.

dark age Forts on KS and puzzle castels

Postby bvandewalker » 19 Sep 2015, 15:05

A while back we had discussions about buildings and terrain parts. Well, recently a locale hobby shop closed (well it was in OC anyways) and I picked up huge 3D puzzle castle. I am planning on using it for 28mm war gaming if it scales well (otherwise I am going to do that game Mom suggested :D ), I was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Also for those of you looking around for dark age terrain to go with all those WGF Vikings and Saxons, you should check this out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ni ... iature-set

I am thinking about backing this if I can swing it.
bvandewalker
Captain

Re: dark age Forts on KS and puzzle castels

Postby wmyers » 20 Sep 2015, 01:29

bvandewalker wrote:A while back we had discussions about buildings and terrain parts. Well, recently a locale hobby shop closed (well it was in OC anyways) and I picked up huge 3D puzzle castle. I am planning on using it for 28mm war gaming if it scales well (otherwise I am going to do that game Mom suggested :D ), I was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Also for those of you looking around for dark age terrain to go with all those WGF Vikings and Saxons, you should check this out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ni ... iature-set

I am thinking about backing this if I can swing it.

There are other options.

Usborne makes a series of books entitled, "Make This ..." and one is a Viking Settlement. They are more designed for 1/72 / 20mm scale but would work for gaming.

There are also plaster moulds by Linka for Stonework that would be usable.

wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 21 Sep 2015, 00:07

Yeah, I think I know about both of those, but the fort does have a few advantages over the paper craft option you are suggesting (setup and reuse, actually for the 28mm scale, keeps with interiors) and it is a bit lazier than the the mold option. thanks though. ;)

Oh, if "make this" are who I think they are, you would be better using the village for 20mm to 15mm gaming, There use to be freebie paper-craft castle for D&D on the web that should be perfect for 28mm gaming (if the puzzle castle is to small I will either have to find it again or scratch build one).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 21 Sep 2015, 19:51

I checked out the fort on the Kickstarter and it would be good for a (so-called) Dark Ages fort or Eastern European (i.e. Russ) or for "barbarians" like Germans against the Romans. Heck, I guess you could also use for a simple Wild West fort or trading post.

Hirst Arts also makes sets of blocks to assemble things for 28mmish scale - although it's mostly fantasy.

Hudson and Allen make some nice looking stuff for "25mm".

Yes, lots of Hudson and Allen images but I think they look very nice and they cover quite a wide range of periods too (they have a Fort Zindernuf (from PC Wren's 'Beau Geste' novel) and a full Alamo). Some of the buildings have lift off roofs (you just have to cut out the windows as they are cast solid) and the castles are modular so you can keep adding to them.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Felix » 26 Sep 2015, 13:56

Or if you prefer there is also this one:
http://www.plastcraftgames.com/es/

are nice i make this ;)
DSCN2482.JPG
Felix

Postby bvandewalker » 29 Sep 2015, 17:23

wmyers wrote:I checked out the fort on the Kickstarter and it would be good for a (so-called) Dark Ages fort or Eastern European (i.e. Russ) or for "barbarians" like Germans against the Romans. Heck, I guess you could also use for a simple Wild West fort or trading post.

Hirst Arts also makes sets of blocks to assemble things for 28mmish scale - although it's mostly fantasy.

To be honest wmyers, when ever I look at 28mm terrain, I think about how I can use it for either fantasy or Sci-fi (mostly fantasy) :lol: . It is pretty much the same way with 28mm minis (usually I focus on Dark Age to renaissance era, however after reading a regency fantasy novel, I have been playing with the idea of either a fantasy Napoleonic setting or a fantasy Zulu war setting). :lol:

So I have been looking at the fort kickstarter and thinking how it would be perfect for my one fantasy setting's Viking faction and still be generic enough for an Orc fortress. ;)

Hist Arts does looks great:

But if the puzzle castle doesn't work for 28mm, I will probably just scratch build a castle out of craft store Styrofoam using the GW helms deep process at this point.

as to plastcraft, they are EU based and therefore kind of out of my normal budget range. That said they make a fairly cool samurai castle that I wouldn't mind getting at some point if I have enough "use foolishly" money. :lol:
bvandewalker
Captain

Return to General Discussions