Samurai building

Discuss Wargames Factory's Rising Suns products.

Samurai building

Postby coachB » 12 Aug 2015, 15:23

New to forums. Just received ten boxes of Samurai. Are there any direction on how to glue them together?
coachB

Re: Samurai building

Postby HalberKill » 12 Aug 2015, 22:15

Nope.

T'is a problem with many of the older WF sets. The best thing to do is look at the pictures in the store, and people's builds in the forums, to kind of suss out how they go together.

But the basics are, the torso first, then the legs around it, the swords scabbards should be pointing downward with the curve pointing up on the left side of the mini. After that it's whatever makes it fit, and that's where the pictures help.

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby coachB » 13 Aug 2015, 09:22

Dang, thats kinda what I thought. Thanks.
coachB

Postby bvandewalker » 14 Aug 2015, 03:42

Also look at the pics on the box and try to make what you see for the first few, I did that and got better looking results.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 14 Aug 2015, 11:29

bvandewalker wrote:Also look at the pics on the box and try to make what you see for the first few, I did that and got better looking results.

The internet is a big help for this as well.

I would also look at stances from Kendo kata and Iaido (make sure it is not Chinese made "samurai" movies like "Kill Bill" as the sword fighting in that movie is based on Wu Shu (kung fu) and not on true authentic Japanese Sword Arts.

Look for ZNKR (Zen Nippon Kendo Renmai (All Japan Kendo Federation) on google (https://www.google.ca/search?q=znkr+kata&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIuKGUn4ypxwIVSQ2SCh3dKA8u&biw=2320&bih=981)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 19 Aug 2015, 19:49

Just be aware that Japanese martial arts are largely a Tokagawa era thing (i.e. post-Sengoku Jidai peacetime hobbies) and kendo bears much the same relationship to actual 16th C Japanese warfare as foil fencing does to European. For that matter, Wu Shu has little to do with even Chinese period warfare.

Your best bet for authentic age of war poses are not modern martial artists but period illustrations, although be careful since a lot of them were *also* made a lot later on (always get a date, or assume it was drawn in the 19th century).
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby wmyers » 19 Aug 2015, 22:36

mrinku wrote:Just be aware that Japanese martial arts are largely a Tokagawa era thing (i.e. post-Sengoku Jidai peacetime hobbies) and kendo bears much the same relationship to actual 16th C Japanese warfare as foil fencing does to European. For that matter, Wu Shu has little to do with even Chinese period warfare.

Your best bet for authentic age of war poses are not modern martial artists but period illustrations, although be careful since a lot of them were *also* made a lot later on (always get a date, or assume it was drawn in the 19th century).

Just to clarify for those reading without background, the Tokugawa period is also the Edo period and is from 1603 to 1868. It was largely a period of "relative" peace (but in today's terms would likely be classified as semi-lawless with strict rules and a totalitarian oppressive regime (yes, I know, it seems like a contradiction, but perhaps common perceptions today are).

Anyway, the sword is often worn differently between the two periods (blade up for later period) and the sword is shorter in Edo period as the longer sword was used on horseback which needs a longer reach.

I have read the European fencing comparison before but it is erroneous. Those who started such a rumour never had any experience with real Japanese sword arts.

The schools who formed the ZNKR have unbroken lineage and training methods from the Samurai period where the sword was a way of life - not a "sport".

The term "sport" and "player" did not enter until after the USA occupation of Japan banning JSA. It was only by convincing the USA authorities the were "just sports" were JSA allowed to be practiced in post-war Japan.

It is still illegal to own a sword in Japan unless it is officially registered as a 'national art traesure'. It is illegal to bring a steel sword into Japan today. Training is most commonly done with an iaito made of "duralumin" (aluminium with some hardeners). The few artisans who are still allowed to make swords are pre-approved and licensed to only make a few a year and they (swords) have to be registered.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby coachB » 12 Oct 2015, 21:57

Good stuff wmyers. Any know where to find clan mons and which were on which side during the Warring States Period?
coachB

Postby wmyers » 12 Oct 2015, 23:49

coachB wrote:Good stuff wmyers. Any know where to find clan mons and which were on which side during the Warring States Period?

Great question! There is the Osprey Elite 'Samurai Heraldry' book:

There is also Samurai Archives:

http://www.samurai-archives.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38650&sid=bc9ecc55f82d185a32e66a1e0caa818f

wmyers
Lieutenant

Return to Rising Suns