Does this work?

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Does this work?

Postby bvandewalker » 22 Dec 2015, 21:51

Last November I was at Loscon and I picked up for free a big bottle of pewter gray Apple Barrel Acrylic paint (a Plaid brand). So does anyone know if I can use this to paint my minis or am I going to have test it myself? I know plastic model paint is generally acrylic, and the bottle does claim to be for all general crafts.
bvandewalker
Captain

Re: Does this work?

Postby Strawhat » 23 Dec 2015, 08:04

I've used Apple Barrel/Plaid for many miniatures.

It does tend to be thick, so you'll want to thin it. I usually didn't but I'm an awful painter so it made little difference.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby bvandewalker » 23 Dec 2015, 15:52

How do you thin it? Do you mix in water?
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 23 Dec 2015, 22:59

There are several different methods that I've heard of.

Water is the first. I didn't add water until I was using the paint as a wash, but IIRC the general thought was 1-2 drops of water per 4-5 of paint. Start at the 1-5 end, and add more water if necessary.

There's also a flow improver/medium that you might be able to find (also from Apple Barrel/Plaid). I haven't seen it in years, but I do remember seeing it.

I've also heard of people using Future floor polish to thin the paint a bit as well. I don't know if the new stuff (Pledge with Future, or some such) works or not. If possible, I'd stick with water or the flow improver.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby wmyers » 28 Dec 2015, 00:47

Apparently Pledge with Future is the exact same formula as what was Future. A company buyout and a new name is all.

Get a cheap plastic paint mixing tray (do a Google image search for those exact five terms). Mix your paint and water in there.

Wash the sprues with dish detergent first to remove mould release agents and rinse with clean tap water. Let dry. Then prime with inexpensive grey automotive primer spray/rattle can (AFTER ASSEMBLY). (Just tape the figures to a board or piece of cardboard to prime.)

Then practice with your paint. The primer will help the paint adhere.

White primer with thinned paints also works nice.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby HalberKill » 07 Jan 2016, 20:18

Unless you are doing something special, I would not mix future in with the paint. Future makes an ok after paint seal, testor's dulcote being the best. Future also is great at making fuzzed clear parts clear again. Also when you let the future dry, make sure the mini is out of a dust collecting area, because dust will stick to the mini.

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Return to Painting