Additions to your fantasy line

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Additions to your fantasy line

Postby 1classybadger » 30 Sep 2015, 13:27

indeed we should, the rules need trimming but that can wait until the story is more complete as for the discussion that is best help through email as to not clutter the good folks here
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 18 Jan 2016, 23:18

Well, it took a little while (almost a year!), but...
The Shadow Emissary for Malifaux (link is to the Wyrd site).
http://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2016/1/1 ... w-emissary

I didn't see mention of size other than "big" so I would assume 50mm or 80mm base. I don't know that Malifaux goes beyond 50mm, though.

I think it's a Korean style dragon, but I'm not positive.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby 1classybadger » 19 Jan 2016, 12:10

huzzah, activity!

as for the dragon, some malifaux minis can get downright huge
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 26 Jan 2016, 03:08

Actually, correct me if I am wrong but the funny thing about mainland Asian dragons is that they are almost interchangeable when it comes to the looks department aren't they.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 26 Jan 2016, 20:22

yeah, primarily you have an elongated sperantine body, at least four limbs and catfish whiskers, you're a dragon
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 26 Jan 2016, 20:24

My, admittedly quite limited, understanding is that the chief difference between Chinese, Korean, and Japanese dragons is the number of fingers/toes. This ranges from five (China) to three (Japan), with Korea (four) in the middle.

Traditionally speaking, that is.

How many people will know this is difficult to say. I mean, if dragons aren't your thing, you could hardly be expected to know how many toes they have regardless of your country of origin.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby bvandewalker » 27 Jan 2016, 00:25

I think you may be one of the few people in the dragon lover community who makes that distinction since there is Korean comic about a dragon hunter in dark age fairy-tale Korea where at least one of the dragons has 5 claws per-hand and I know that Artist/author loves the subject, and you could argue that it is a traditional but I have come across at least one five claw Japanese in the old drawings.

bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 27 Jan 2016, 18:07

bvandewalker wrote:I think you may be one of the few people in the dragon lover community who makes that distinction since there is Korean comic about a dragon hunter in dark age fairy-tale Korea where at least one of the dragons has 5 claws per-hand and I know that Artist/author loves the subject, and you could argue that it is a traditional but I have come across at least one five claw Japanese in the old drawings.

Not as much as you would think. But if I can get some quick, and decent, information with a quick search I'll do it.

And sometimes artists make choices that go against expectations for any number of reasons (artistic license) even if they "know better".

But it's hardly a critical matter.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby HalberKill » 27 Jan 2016, 21:15

I thought the number of toes meant how close to dragon royalty they were, not correlated to the culture they come from. I think fewer is better.

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 24 Feb 2016, 02:57

Actually I think HalberKill is closer to the truth on this, particularly since the Wiki back him up at least partially (they say 5 claws is closer to royalty):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon

this troll on WOW has the relevant bit: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 332?page=1

To be honest Strawhat, this claw count equals country thing seems to me more like a translation error made by some Western scholars/observers who probably thought that on the Asian dragons claw number tells you what nation they come from when the number actually meant that the dragon you are looking at was the exclusive symbol the royal house of the nation you are standing in (I can vouch that in Korea the 4 clawed dragon was worn exclusively by the royal family and the wiki states its clearly 5 for the Chinese Imperial family, Wouldn't be surprised if 3 claw exclusively represents the holy line of the mikados in Japan).

Plus all the claw types were present in this article about 2012 Korean new years festivities:

http://blog.korea.net/?p=6629

If the claw thing were a real difference in the nationality of the dragon like you say, than all the dragons in that article would have had four claws because that fact would have been literally beaten into every last Korean since their childhood, (they are more than super nationalistic enough that they would make a big deal out of something like that, don't kid yourself). :roll:

Also Strawhat saying that you can only love dragons if you know about this dubious and obscure "the number of claws on Asian dragon tells you what nation it come from" rule is an odd thing to state so vehemently given that we are talking about a fantastical category beasts that very so greatly in appearance that it is not by nation so much as by the story that the description changes even in Asia (and I say that as someone who has been studying dragons in earnest since childhood), it is sort of like saying you can only be a true sports fan if you know the difference between the cleats worn in rugby, football, and soccer based on the number spikes or shoe lace holes.
bvandewalker
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products